Help! First time think I messed up last step

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrhuebner

Reaction score
Hey all. Just started my brew and I think I may have messed up on something. I did the boil correct but not sure if I messed up the aeration part because my kit didn't say how long to do it. I aerated for probably a minute by just shaking the bucket and then just sprinkled the dry yeast in and sealed with airlock. Was I supposed to aerate after I sprinkled yeast?!!! Should I go back and do something? Finished brew at like 6pm last night. I hope I didn't mess this up!!

Sounds right to me. I'll just add that you'll want to sanitize, sanitize, sanitize. And try not to expose it to big air very long.

RDWHAH. Your beer will most likely be fine.

I've heard you should aerate BEFORE and not AFTER you pitch, so you're fine. I've also heard that you need to shake your bucket for like at least 5 mins to get proper aeration, but I probably have probably never done that and my beers turn out good. I don't time it I just shake until I get bored. Apparently Brulosophy says you don't need to aerate anyway or something....

With dry yeast you don't even have to aerate at all.

I've forgotten to aerate completely before and had the beer turn out fine even with liquid yeast. You'll be A-OK.

Back