Help, first recipe (oatmeal stout)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowery

Reaction score
I am planning on making my first recipe, and first partial mash (I have done 6 extract kits so far). I like Sam Smith's and Barney Flats, but was aiming for something smoother and less roasty like Dark Horse One or Barley Island's Brassknuckles.
Let me know what you think.

1.00 lb Briess Dark Dry Extract (17.5 SRM) Dry Extract 9.66 %
3.15 lb Northern Brewer Dark Liquid Extract (17.5 SRM) Extract 30.43 %
4.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 38.65 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.66 %
0.30 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.90 %
0.30 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 2.90 %
0.30 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.90 %
0.30 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.90 %
1.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 22.8 IBU

I was also planning on using Wyeast 1450 for mouthfeel.

Any help would be appreciated, as again this is my first recipe.

I think you get better results by always using the lightest extracts. I would use light or extra light extracts and reduce pale malt by a pound, eliminate the crystal, and up the chocolate and black patent to 1 lb each. If that drops the OG a bit, you can add another .2 lb of victory. To me, a stout is made with roasted barley. Any thought on using roasted barley instead of the black patent?

Yeah, normally a stout would have roasted barley, but this recipe sounds like a nice partial mash oatmeal porter.
1 lb of black patent is HUGE, it has a distinctive bitterness, i would leave it where it is or go down to 1/4 lb, but definitely increase the chocolate and use a lighter extract.
The crystal could stay or go, but I would keep it.

For an even smoother mouthfeel you could add another 1/2 lb or so of oats, or some flaked wheat. but that might just be my love of high oat ratios in stouts talking.

I also like to toast my oats in the oven about a week ahead of time. Low heat at 275 for around 30 minutes. Basically until they start to smell like oatmeal cookies.

Put em back in the container and let em sit for the week then brew.

-chuck

See what you think. I changed to dme and lme to light and nb gold, bumped up the chocolate and oats, and added roasted barley, while decreasing the (de-bittered) black.

1.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 8.13 %
3.15 lb nb gold Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 26.83 %
4.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 32.52 %
1.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 12.20 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.10 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.07 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.07 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.07 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.03 %
1.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 20.6 IBU

You might want to consider using maltodextrin to add to the body of your stout. It gives your beer a creamer mouth feel.

I doubt he would need any malto-dextrine in this recipe, the oats will take care of that.

This recipe looks good, and would probably take coffee and chocolate nicely if you're still considering making part of it a breakfast stout.
Keep us posted!

Back