Help finding new RIMS/Mashing controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been tinkering with Arduinos and Raspberry Pis as my brewing and temp control solutions for quite some time. I started out with a homemade Arduino setup, then graduated to the CraftBeerPi software. I've had a great time tinkering and learning along the way.

The CraftBeerPi system is a great one with lots of promise, but I am finding that my technical capabilities are not quite what they need to be. I am continually running into technical issues. Small things like stable power supplies and complex circuits that I only have a vague understanding of what I'm doing seem to be my problem. My last brew I had to listen to the buzzer on the system sound for the whole brew! In trying to fix that problem I think I've managed to kill my Raspberry Pi.

Lately I've spent more time trying to get things to work than actually brewing!

So, I'm wondering if anybody can recommend an off the shelf (or very minimal build) version of a controller I might consider. My needs are pretty simple.

• Indoor natural gas burner for the boil.
  • 110v RIMS tube for mashing.
  • Steelhead pump for circulating. I would like on and off control of this, but it could be a hardware switch rather than automated.
  • Utilize One-Wire temp sensors so I can maintain my existing temp probes (edit)
  • I may like to add an electric HLT at some point in the future, but that is not a current need.
  • Automation other than PID control is a nice to have not a need to have.
I love the software solutions and the ability to access temps etc from my network, but that is a nice to have not a need to have.

Any advice would be appreciated.

So, your set up & mine are quite similar:

• 110v RIMS Rocket for mashing
  • Outdoor NG for strike/sparge/boil
  • 2 Chugger pumps for recirc
  • Manual control of mash parameters via Auber EZBoil DSPR 120
With this model, I enter each step of the mash, but there is a newer version that can be programmed. They also carry DIY kits & pre builds. I've been using this set up (built into a 8"x 10" Hoffman enclosure) for a little over a year & am very pleased with the ease of operation & consistency of results. However, it does use a 3 wire probe.

Here’s a shot of the control panel:

IMG_3101.jpg

That looks like a nice setup. It also looks like a pretty custom build. Maybe that is something I'm not going to be able to avoid unless I want to spend $500 - $5000 on a pre-made unit.

That looks like a nice setup. It also looks like a pretty custom build. Maybe that is something I'm not going to be able to avoid unless I want to spend $500 - $5000 on a pre-made unit.

This one seems reasonable:

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=698

I got the parts for my build from Electric Brewing Supply, but unfortunately they no longer carry that exact kit. Easy enough to piece together though. I had an electrician buddy wire it up for me. Take your time & figure out your process flow, there are tons of knowledgeable & generous people on this site & others. Good luck!

Back