Help finding a digital camera?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheZymurgist

Reaction score
I know just enough about photography to not be satisfied with a simple point-and-shoot camera, but I don't want to pay for a DSLR. I'm looking for something that takes good quality pictures, and easily allows for manual adjustment of aperture, shutter speed, exposure, etc. Is there one that exists in the $250 range?

Right now I'm looking at the Nikon 1 J1, and it looks pretty good, but wanted to see if there were any experiences here.

I hate the software that some cameras require you to use in order to access the pictures. I don't know who sells them with that requirement anymore, but that is one thing I look for in a camera.

You might consider looking for a good used DSLR. I bought one that wasn't too old for about that price and it came with a 300mm zoom lens.

If you really want a new camera, check out DP Review. They do extensive reviews of just about every camera model made, with detailed specifications, sample images, comparisons, etc. I don't know where you can get more information about a camera. Even the manufacturer is not likely to have all of it available.

Sony makes some decent DSLRs that I don't think are as expensive. Or you might pick up one of the higher-end P&S cameras. I think the high-end Canon and Nikon point-n-shoot cameras allow some limited exchange of lenses.

After a lot of research, reading reviews, and looking at actual picture samples, my wife concluded that the Canon PowerShot G15 was going to be hers.

The picture quality is truly excellent and although the camera has many auto-shooting modes, most can be overridden or tweaked to satisfy a photo enthusiast. It also takes very decent video.

Aside from DP review mentioned before, I found many good reviews and actual image samples at Steve's Digicams.

I'm a Commercial Photographer raised with film and processing, and slowly migrated to digital. I have a very keen sense of image quality, and although no fair comparison to a pro rig, that G15 delivers a very pleasing result. I think it was around $400 in the Summer.

There are a number of bridge cameras that aren't too bad. The step above that is interchangeable-lens mirrorless cameras, which run from affordable to plenty expensive, but are nice and small. At this point, I'd probably stick to micro-4/3s for those. The other option is a used DSLR, which will probably be no more expensive then a decent mirrorless. But both of those "steps above" are fairly pricey compared to $250.

What I would probably get is the Panasonic Lumix GX1 with an electronic viewfinder, which is out of your price range but worth it.

(Re: custom software. These days, if a vendor says you need some particular software or driver to access your pictures, they're almost always lying. The USB interfaces any modern camera uses are quite standardized.)

Thanks for the tips, guys. I've been doing a little research, but still haven't settled. I was given a Nikon Coolpix S5200 from B&H which I can return and exchange, so I'm limited by what they have in stock, but they have a lot to choose from. Here's a link to the Nikon 1 J1 that I'm looking at:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/823582-REG/Nikon_27532_1_J1_Mirrorless_Digital.html

Judson, I found a used GX1 at B&H, and it seems to be a decent price, right in the range of what I'm looking for. Let me know your thoughts:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...dmc_gx1kk_lumix_dmc_gx1_mirrorless_micro.html

+1 on Steve's Digicams. I knew there was another really good review site, but it just couldn't come to me.

Really, $250 is kind of low for a decent bridge camera, but not too far off. And image quality is a big deal IMO. I once had a Sony Mavica that took 2MP pics that were comparable to most of the 5-8MP cameras I've used since then. Only downside was now big you could blow them up. I'd have used that for several more years if it wasn't so big and slow and could only use MiniCDs for storage. The best thing besides image quality was the fact that you could QUICKLY and EASILY put it in Aperature or Shutter priority and snap pics. Even full auto. It was great in dim light too.

Most if not all small and skinny point and shoot cameras (say <$300) rely on very small sensors, heavy interpolation of image data and typically an abundance of sharpening to yield a presentable image. The effects of these techniques can be quite visible, resulting in a harshness (or a lack of smoothness) that cannot be removed or corrected afterwards. Ultimately all image artifacts limit the size at which the picture can be viewed or printed, without looking objectionable.

Since large numbers sell better, manufacturers seem to rely solely on higher pixel numbers rather than other technologies to create better final images. In other words, it's not the number of pixels but the quality of them that determines how well an image looks.

I shoot with a Nikon D3100 (mentioned above by headbanger) and it's a great little DSLR for the money, but if you're firm on the $250, then I would recommend the camera my wife shoots. It's a Fulifilm HS10 which has all the features you mentioned plus a ridiculous 30x optical zoom. The pictures it takes are pretty good, too. Apparently it's a discontinued model, but you might able to find it used for cheap.

There are a number of bridge cameras that aren't too bad. The step above that is interchangeable-lens mirrorless cameras, which run from affordable to plenty expensive, but are nice and small. At this point, I'd probably stick to micro-4/3s for those. The other option is a used DSLR, which will probably be no more expensive then a decent mirrorless. But both of those "steps above" are fairly pricey compared to $250.

What I would probably get is the Panasonic Lumix GX1 with an electronic viewfinder, which is out of your price range but worth it.

(Re: custom software. These days, if a vendor says you need some particular software or driver to access your pictures, they're almost always lying. The USB interfaces any modern camera uses are quite standardized.)

After reading the reviews and checking with B&H on the quality of this used one, I think I'm going to go with the GX1. Seems like a really great camera, and precisely what I'm looking for.

Thanks for all help guys!

Latest posts

Back