Help-Fermentation Cabinet Input.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Medic

Reaction score
Due to our current living conditions, The only place I have to "Do a Brew" is in an unheated/uninsulated garage. Thought about finding an junk small chest freezer and either a heating pad or small heater and an Inkbird control unit. I do have space under a cabinet and material to build and insulate something, But all those cabinets will be moved in the future. If my brewing takes off like it did before, (and expect it to) there will be a kegerator in the future.
Or wait till spring...

680 SqFt attached garage that will be insulated and finished once the house gets done and we get moved in.

Have you thought about a 20gal trash can and an aquarium water heater? Years ago when I brewed outside, I would route some (2-3gal) of the warmer chill water into a 20 gal trash can. After transferring the wort to a fermenter (glass in those days), I would place the carboy, a filled 2L pet bottle jammed in to prevent movement and then insert an unbreakable electronic aquarium water heater running the cord thru a hole in the lid. The lid prevented excessive evaporation and the heater easily kept the temps in a good range. Even on those 15-20 degree days.

Well bit the bullet and a new 8.7 CF freezer sits in the garage... wife wanted a bigger one anyway... Shes even allowing it to be used to get her cider and cyser done 1st... then I get the old small one of beer... Aint she sweet.

Back