Help Expoding Top Lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

durandf

Reaction score
Hey
I just locked down a 5 Gallon Carboy of Red Ale last night and have a great fermentation going but about an hour ago it blew the lock top off...any suggestions ?

haha do a search for blow off tube. I never use an airlock during the first week for this very reason. It took having beer explode all over my house twice before I learned my lesson.

Hahaha, I did this my first time too.....woman of the house did not appreciate beer all over her ceiling....I just ran a tube from my stopper on top my glass carbois to a second 2 gallon carbois with sanitary water in it. Although I lose some of the head from the fermentation, it contains the mess.

what is a blow off tube..Ahhhhh...can I just let it pour out in the tub..I dont want to leave the carboy opened like that..for tonight what do you suggest.

Got it. Thanks. Beer never looked so good on the ceiling of the newly renovated bathroom.....

Do you guys have blow-outs in 6.5 gallon carboys? I bought them hoping that most brews will fit. I'm not a fan of the blow off tube setup.

Do you guys have blow-outs in 6.5 gallon carboys? I bought them hoping that most brews will fit. I'm not a fan of the blow off tube setup.

Its cheap, very effective, and fool proof?
May I ask why you dont like it??

what is a blow off tube..Ahhhhh...can I just let it pour out in the tub..I dont want to leave the carboy opened like that..for tonight what do you suggest.

Why not? You have so much foam coming out that no bacteria can get in. You could easily leave it open for a couple days before you put the airlock back on. :ban:

Use the hose from your siphon...they're usually the same OD as an airlock stem. Just shove one end in the hole and the other into a milk jug/water bottle/beer bottle/bowl/whatever half-full of a sanitized liquid. (The liquid is to prevent any airborne nasties from getting into your tube from the air....not much of a problem until the fermentation begins to slow a little.)

Thanks Guys...all seems to be mellowing now. Wish I could share a home brew with you all. Cheers

Back