Help! DIY Chiller Not Working

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a lager (Oktoberfest) fermenting now (my first ever lager), only on about day three and found that the frozen water jug swapping was not efficient or convenient. I found a hand-me-down window AC unit and did as many others have; took the thing apart, jumped the thermostat, and curled the evaporator coil into the cooler. I plugged the ac unit and submerssible pump into the coiling side of inkbird and let it do it's thing. I come back two hours later and the temp went up 15 degrees F.

The compressor is not constantly running as many have said should be happening, and the coil is therefore not chilling. Looking for any advice.

Thank you!

I'm not sure what can be done, but mainly because your description is lacking in details, many of which would be illustarated if you can post a picture of your setup. We have no idea of what kind of fermenter you're using; Does it have a chilling coil? are you feeding a bath to a carboy? Are you using Glycol? (sorry to ask that one, but hey.. this is the internet :p )
Please take a pic and post it or at least give us all the details. I might not be able to help you, but with pictures, you'll get a lot of more knowledgable responses than mine.
:)

I'm not sure what can be done, but mainly because your description is lacking in details, many of which would be illustarated if you can post a picture of your setup. We have no idea of what kind of fermenter you're using; Does it have a chilling coil? are you feeding a bath to a carboy? Are you using Glycol? (sorry to ask that one, but hey.. this is the internet :p )
Please take a pic and post it or at least give us all the details. I might not be able to help you, but with pictures, you'll get a lot of more knowledgable responses than mine.
:)
I have the Spike Flex with an immersion coil connected to the spike pump in the cooler bath (just water for now, I haven't purchased Glycol yet but have been under the impression it would be a temporary workaround) with the evaporator coil. The wiring is a bit of a mess now, I have plans to clean that up. And as you can see, I had the not so wise idea to cut and attempt to bypass the fan (it is operating).

Attachments

• IMG-6553.jpg
    IMG-6553.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
As a shot in the dark, maybe the compressor has a thermal cut-off and needs air blowing over it to keep it moderately cool?
Ok, this maybe it because I took both fans off of the motor, thinking them not necessary. I can reattach and see if that helps. The condenser only stays on for a maximum of two minutes before shutting off for another ten or more. It is also extremely hot, so maybe we pinpointed.

The fan on a window AC performs two functions. It blows room air through the evaporation coil (which you don't need since the coil is in glycol). It also blows the hot air away from the condenser coil (which you absolutely need).
I plugged the ac unit and submerssible pump into the coiling side of inkbird and let it do it's thing. I come back two hours later and the temp went up 15 degrees F.
This is also a problem. You need one controller that runs the compressor to hold the glycol bath at a fixed temperature. The probe sits in the glycol batch. Then you need another controller that runs the pump, and that probe is in the thermowell of the fermenter. This is non negotiable.

The fan on a window AC performs two functions. It blows room air through the evaporation coil (which you don't need since the coil is in glycol). It also blows the hot air away from the condenser coil (which you absolutely need).

This is also a problem. You need one controller that runs the compressor to hold the glycol bath at a fixed temperature. The probe sits in the glycol batch. Then you need another controller that runs the pump, and that probe is in the thermowell of the fermenter. This is non negotiable.
Alright, I will order another inkbird and try to re-connect the fan. I’ll see if that does the trick. Thanks for the insight!

Fan is attached and the thing is running like a dream. Second inkbird on it’s way. Thanks all for the advice, I think you saved the Oktoberfest party!

Attachments

• 0B6DD559-2BB7-4F64-8993-63B30382EB89.jpeg
    0B6DD559-2BB7-4F64-8993-63B30382EB89.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 245BDC4F-38C5-466E-95EC-A1AEE223CC3D.jpeg
    245BDC4F-38C5-466E-95EC-A1AEE223CC3D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back