Help changing my stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will brew it again (and again) and adjust thing to fit what I like.

I think this is a good idea. After years (decades) of bouncing around I've finally decided on about 8 styles that I will alternate making, and keep tweaking the recipes until I think they have become great. So far it's been a good idea, I don't get tired of them and I really start to learn how small changes affect things.

Final update for this topic.

I'm very happy with the result! Taste is malty, chocolaty, a bit of roast and a kind of cherry/molasses fruity taste. The beer has a medium body but is still refreshing.
The bottle needs a bit more time to have a proper co2/head but generally it is a HUGE improvement compared to my first stout.

I'll brew it again with 2 modifications (next version ;)):
1. I don't think the oatmeal made a lot of difference. I think I will only use flaked barley next time.
2. I think the chocolate and roasted barley could be a bit more balanced. So I will lower a bit the chocolate malt and raise the roasted barley.

Apart from that, it was my first time using Irish Ale Yeast and surely not the last.
I need to work on a tasty red ale recipe and this yeast seems to be a good candidate :yes:

Last edited:
Back