Help! carboy cap blown off, beer oxidized!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aangel

Reaction score
So I've been fermenting a roughly 5 gallon batch of 1.050 wort in a 6.5gal better bottle with carboy cap and airlock. (in a temp controlled chest freezer at 18C). For reasons outside my control I was unable to monitor it on day 3-5 of fermentation. It's now day 6, and I discovered the carboy cap blew off! My beer's been sitting, open to the air, for at least 3 days.

How can I revive this? For now I've sanitized the cap and airlock and reattached them. Should I rehydrate some DME, add it to the fermenter, and hope the yeast reawaken and use up the now abundant oxygen available to them?

The master brewers can correct or add, but I think the co2 blanket in your carboy head space caused by the fermentation keeps the oxygen out of the beer. You should be fine after replacing the airlock.

Skipped the DME. Just shook up the carboy a bit, hoping to rouse the yeast enough to finish the job. Also, man my idea of just dropping the hydrometer in the carboy and monitoring its progress was a flop - can't monitor what you can't see, with the headspace completely covered in muck.

It will be fine. Google "open fermentation" and you'll quickly realize what happened to you isn't a big deal. So much CO2 is produced in the first week that you won't have to worry about it.

Thanks everyone. Gotta say though, it was a bit unrealr - the airlock was filled with solid gel-like krausen. Had the consistency of refrigerated bacon grease.

Back