Help carbonating a high gravity ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buhjangles

Reaction score
Hello,

I made a 13.5% Russian Imperial Stout a few months ago and I'm ready to bottle it up. The gravity started at 1.130 finished up around 1.026 (don't have my notes handy). I fermented using WLP090 Super San Diego, and finished it with The White Labs Super High Gravity Yeast. It has been witting in an oak cask for the past few months and I'm pretty sure the yeast is dead.

I'd like to reintroduce yeast so I can carb in the bottle, any recommendations? Should I use the Super High Gravity yeast again? Or a champagne yeast? I figure I need something with a higher tolerance to alcohol.

I also read something regarding adding the yeast then waiting a few days in case it starts chewing up some of the residual sugars, does anyone have any experience with this? I'd hate to lose any of these to bottle bombs, but it would be a lot easier to just add the yeast at bottling time if that is sufficient.

I don't have much to add, other than I bottled an 11ish% stout with champagne yeast and it came out great. There isn't anything champagne yeast can ferment that your brewers yeast wouldn't have already fermented, so I doubt you have to worry about bottle bombs if you use the correct amount of priming sugar.

Back