Help! Can't get gas flowing on new BG-14

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISLAGI

1 beer short of a sixer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The title kinda says it all. I got a BG-14 last Christmas, but because life got in the way, haven't had a chance to try it out until now.

I followed the instructions to assemble it and connected it to a working tank. And, yes I am sure the tank works and is filled. I have 2 tanks, and one is empty, and the other I took off of my grill after one use after filling.

I turn on the propane tank then open the regulator and I don't hear or smell any propane coming out of the burner.

Any thoughts?

Enjoy!

when you open the valve did you do slowly and was the regulator off
If you open valve quickly and the gas has somewhere to go the safety valve thats built in will close. make shure every things off before opening valve slowly and you will hear the valve click open in a second or two.
If thats not it then you may not have screwed the connector on quite right, it's possible (I know) to do either of these things and not get the gas. Some other people have mentioned about drilling out something to get more flow for that big burner but I forget where that was.:mug:

Thanks, Joe!

Unfortunately still no joy.

2 things:

1. When I turn off both valves and undo the connector I get a little sput od propane.

2. Is it possible to overtighten the hand nut that connects to the tank?

Thanks,

I don't think you could over-tighten an ACME nut by hand (pipe wrench is a whole 'nuther matter). And a puff of gas when uncoupling the regulator from the tank isn't unusual.

That said, if you start from scratch with the tank and regulator both closed, open the tank valve, then slowly open the regulator, if you don't hear gas rushing through the burner either something has plugged the line or the regulator is DOA...

Cheers!

Does your burner have an adjustable air intake near the actual burner itself? And are you getting any smell of propane after turning on the tank and opening up the valve for the burner? If you have too much air mixing with the gas this could prevent your burner from lighting. I had gotten my burner wet somehow before my last brew day and although I still had gas flow, the propane wouldn't make it to the burner. It would flow out of the air port when meeting the resistance of the water inside the burner. Just something that happened to me and on the off chance you got yours wet maybe this could be it.

ISLAGI said:
The title kinda says it all. I got a BG-14 last Christmas, but because life got in the way, haven't had a chance to try it out until now.

I followed the instructions to assemble it and connected it to a working tank. And, yes I am sure the tank works and is filled. I have 2 tanks, and one is empty, and the other I took off of my grill after one use after filling.

I turn on the propane tank then open the regulator and I don't hear or smell any propane coming out of the burner.

Any thoughts?

Enjoy!

Sorry bro I have a good buzz going and didn't properly read your OP. My 1st post is no help to you. Neither is this one..:drunk:

Good luck.

Actually, the OP in that thread was relating some hearsay - there never actually was a problem.
And the hearsay was about freezing propane tanks well into a brew day - which presumes that the burner(s) actually worked at least for awhile.

In this case, it appears the burner in question has never made fire, ever...

Cheers!

OK.

I ran out of play time last weekend, so I tried again today with a newly filled tank and still not working. I can't seem to get any gas to the hose, like th connector on the regulator is not opening.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

If you're not in a rush, have the retailer that sold the burner contact Blichmann for a warranty replacement of the regulator. It certainly sounds like it was DOA...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back