Help building a recipe using experimental hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewjamin_Franklin

Reaction score
I've come upon a first world home brewer problem and could use some help. I have a friend of a friend that runs an organic hop farm out here in Oregon and just received about 6ozs of experimental hops. I'm thinking its time to brew an IPA or IIPA.

With that in mind I could use some help coming up with a recipe. In terms of gear i can do up to about 7 gallons per batch.

The hops themselves are as follows:
A109-1 - 13% AA
a109-9 - 10% AA
a58-4 - 8% AA

The farmer recommended using A109-1 as a bittering hop and the rest for finishing. More than anything I need some help with a grain bill and trying to decide if i should just use them all or try and get a couple batches our of an unknown.

THANKS!!!!

Man, I dunno. We'd probably need to know what the flavor/aroma profile is for each of these hops. If I had a pile of unknown, experimental hops, I would probably just do a small Single-Malt Single-Hop for each of them to get to know them. Once I was familiar with them, *then* I would start formulating a recipe.

I thought about a single hop batch, but I live in an apartment and don't really have the space/equipment to have that many batches.

These were kind of a surprise and are vacuum packed so I'm a little torn if I should open them up or not before use

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Without your friend having to spill any trade secrets, you may be able to ask him something about flavor and aroma. Lacking that, you may be able to assume they are typical of some of the Yakima valley hops. Do some research and find out about them to take an educated guess.

If all else fails, I say go for it. Try an IPA with 85% US Pale, 10% C20 and 5% your choice (Vienna, Victory, Munich or whatever). Use your bittering hops (1 oz) as FWH and then save the rest for late addition (1.5 oz) , a 30 min hop stand (1.5 oz) and 2 oz for dry hopping. Let us know how it comes out. You can call it Frankenbrew.

Wow tough one not knowing much about the profile but I might try this:

I would go 12 lbs 2 row
8-16 oz crystal 15-60

.5 to 1 oz magnum or the highest AA experimental

2 oz experimental at 10 min (1 oz if you use the high AA FOR BITTERING)
2 oz experimental at flame out
2 oz dry hop

5 gallon batch

Cheers!

Back