Help! Brew day problem!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpferris

Reaction score
I was working on my first all grain batch and my target mash was 152. I hit 148, which over time dropped to 145. I kept adding 200 degree water trying to bring it back up but cant get it up past 147. It's been mashing for about 80min now. I let it go long because of the low mash temp.

I am going to batch sparge. Can I just drain off my first run now, then when I batch sparge, use a higher sparge temp and let it steep longer to make up for the lower first run mash? Basically use the batch sparge to finish the extraction?

Does that make sense? This is my first time so I am in a panic here!

Thanks,
Chad

Most of the enzymatic activity that is going to happen during mashing has already happened during the first hour. At this point, it is what it is. 147-148 is still an acceptable range, it just won't have the body you would have gotten in the low 150's. I say move on and finish as you normally would. Then enjoy what you made and consider what to do better next time.

When you thought it was at 145 did you give it a good mix first? Sometimes the temp is lower at the surface but not throughout the mash.

Now I only do BIAB, so when I determine my mash is dropping a few degrees below my target, I just fire up my burner for a few minutes since I'm mashing in my kettle which is on my burner still.

Be careful with the hot sparge water - I believe you can still extract tannins if your grain sits in water above like 170. This will give your beer that puckering effect. I agree with the above comment, just finish as normal.

Latest posts

Back