Help balancing hop in a simcoe, city, mosaic, ff APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoggoths

Reaction score
Hi gang,

I’ve been lurking here for a while. Second post about this beer. I post the first one in the recipe section and didn't get any answer ... I think this is because it was not in the right place. A mod can delete the other one.

I started hombrewing last november. Since, I brewed 2 all-grains and one partial extract beer. Most recipes from BierMuncher (thanks by the way!). And everything went fine.

I’m looking for a new batch and would like to know if you find this recipe equilibrated. Does it seem alright ? I’m trying to do an hoppy APA not to high in alcohol. If my efficiency is better, I know I will reach 6% ABV but I find it still reasonable. I would really like a 5,5 % though.

Can someone help me balance the hop in this recipe please

****5 Gallon Batch****

Batch Size: 19 litres
Boil Size: 24 litres
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 53.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
ABV 5.43%

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
9.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.40 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Corn Sugar
0.25 oz Simcoe + 0,25 oz Falconer’s Flight (30 min)
0.25 oz Simcoe + 0,25 oz FF + 0,25 oz Mosaic (5 min)
0.5 oz Citra + 0,5 oz Mosaic + 0,5 oz FF (whirpool)
0.5 oz Citra + 0,5 oz Mosaic + 0,5 oz FF (Dry Hop 7 days)

1 Pkgs Safale-05 (Hydrated)

Mash at 153 degrees for 60 minutes.

Any recommandations ?

Thank you very much.

Since APA is one of my favorite styles, yes it looks great. Mosaic is becoming one of my favorite late addition hop. Try a 30 min. Hop stand at 170 dg. To me, this looks like a solid recipe.

To me you have a conflict with the Carapils / Sugar. Carapils will add body and sugar will add alcohol but no body. At 5-6% I don't see the need for sugar - especially in an APA.

Thanks to both of you.

So, I will remove the sugar. I thought it would give the beer a better head retention but if carapils is enough for that purpose, I'll only keep this one.

First time with FF and mosaic so I'm pretty exited.

The sugar is a great trick for a DIPA or IIPA. I find this gravity to be a sweet spot for so many beers styles. Your malt bill isn't very exciting but is quite traditional and is in the correct proportions.

I'd double your hops though. Seems low to me for a hop forward beer.

Thanks to both of you.

So, I will remove the sugar. I thought it would give the beer a better head retention but if carapils is enough for that purpose, I'll only keep this one.

First time with FF and mosaic so I'm pretty exited.

Sugar won't necessarily add any head retention. It just provides fermentables to help dry out the final beer. Most of the time it is used in bigger beers like DIPAs to keep them from being overly sweet.

Maybe remove the sugar, but mash a little lower if you still want your beer on the slightly drier side. I think your beer looks good otherwise!

mash at 150. I don't see a problem
with anything in the recipe as is other than your hops are way low. I'd whirlpool 4 ounces and dry hop at least 4 ounces.

I just dry hopped my IPA with 9 ounces of El Dorado, Galaxy and Mosaic today.

I don't agree with the others who are saying you need more hops for this beer. You could go higher, but you've got some very characterful hops in there, and you said you were looking for an APA -- I think some folks didn't catch that and assumed you were trying an IPA. You have 4.25 ounces of total hops in there, which will get you a fine pale ale. The BYO clone for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale only uses ~3.2 oz of hops in a 5 gallon batch, and that's cascade, perle, and magnum, nothing as dominant as what you're using!

If you want to change the hopping at all, I'd just say throw in some Magnum or Warrior as your bittering charge and move those 30 minute additions a little closer to the end of the boil, or to the whirlpool.

I don't agree with the others who are saying you need more hops for this beer. You could go higher, but you've got some very characterful hops in there, and you said you were looking for an APA -- I think some folks didn't catch that and assumed you were trying an IPA. You have 4.25 ounces of total hops in there, which will get you a fine pale ale. The BYO clone for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale only uses ~3.2 oz of hops in a 5 gallon batch, and that's cascade, perle, and magnum, nothing as dominant as what you're using!

If you want to change the hopping at all, I'd just say throw in some Magnum or Warrior as your bittering charge and move those 30 minute additions a little closer to the end of the boil, or to the whirlpool.

Hey hey, it's funny that you're saying that. I'm actually drinking a SNPA clone and I'm loving it. And you're right, I'm already putting 8g more of hop in this one. The difference is that I'm not putting anything at 60 min ... I think warrior could be a bit bitter for what I want. Doubling the hop would bring the IBU to 65 ... a bit high but I'll perhaps put a little bit more in the dry hop.

I'll try to mash at 150 to keep the beer on the drier side.

Thank you everyone.

I thought a follow-up was needed. This beer ended great.
My tasters told me it is the best batch (5) I've done so fare.
The taste as decreased since. It is a beer that must be drink fresh.
I'm not from the US, here, we like our beer a bit smoother so I would suggest adding a little bit of hop at 60 minutes if you like bitterness.

Back