Help! Airlock Question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheela426

Reaction score
So, last night i completed my first brew. It's currently in my primary fermentor and I put the airlock in.

I noticed today that it's bubbleing. Well my question is are you supposed to keep the top cap on the airlock? If so how does the co2 escape? Every picture I see on the net seem to have the cap kept on.

My airlock looks like this.
http://www.ebrew.com/Products_A/vinty_airlock.jpg

I'm talking about the white cap on the top. Please help before I ruin this batch! Thanks!

The cap has small holes that let the CO2 escape. The caps are not absolutely necessary, but I use them anyways.

Welcome to the forum.

- magno

magno said:
The cap has small holes that let the CO2 escape. The caps are not absolutely necessary, but I use them anyways.

Welcome to the forum.

- magno

Yep, just to keep the larger bugs out.

There should be a little hole (around 1/16 in.) in the cap, and that should be enough room for the co2 to get out of, if there isnt one, the machine that makes the caps probably messed up, pole a small finishing nail through it and it will be fine.

The white/ translucent plastic cap had about a dozen tiny holes in it, that the CO2 escapes through. Believe me, that cap can't hold the CO2 in. The pressure would knock the cap off, blow the air lock out of the fermenter, lift the lid off of the fermenter, blow up a beer bottle....

And you can't ruin your beer that way. It sounds as if all is well.

Back