Märzen Hell's Hollow Halloween Märzen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagersnob

Reaction score
This beer is named after a haunted area next to one of the most haunted cemeteries in the country, Greenwood Cemetery, located in one of the most haunted cities in the country, Decatur, Illinois. It is a frighteningly easy drinking, malty lager. This recipe is for 10 gallons

OG: 1.054
FG: 1.012
IBU: 17
10# Weyermann Vienna Malt
5# Weyermann Pilsner Malt
2# Weyermann Munich Malt
2# Weyermann Dark Munich (10L)
1# Weyermann Carared
2oz German Tradition Hops @ 60
1oz Tettnang @ flameout
2 vials White Labs German Bock lager yeast, 2qt starter per vial

I utilized a double decoction mash regimen. Protein rest in cooler at 130 for 20 mins. Transfer one 1qt dipper per pound of mostly grain to boil pot. (20 dippers) Slowly heat and stir until Sacch' Rest is reached at 155. Let rest for 20 minutes. Bring grain to a boil. Continue 5-10 minutes. Transfer one dipper at a time back into mash tun, stop when main mash hits Sacch' Rest at 155. Let sit for 20 minutes. Pull 10 dippers for 2nd decoction. Add to boil kettle and boil for 5-10 minutes. Transfer back to main mash, one dipper at a time, until mash out is reached at 170.

Sparge and then boil for 60 minutes.
Chill wort into mid forties and then pitch entire volume in yeast starter, slurry, wort and all. Ferment at 50 degrees until final gravity is reached. This beer took about 10 days.

Crash cool near freezing for a few days so that the beer drops clear, then syphon into a keg, carbonate, and drink immediately. (Or add half a packet of dry yeast and priming sugar and bottle ) No need to let it lager for 6 weeks or whatever.

Don't always do what Jamil Zainasheff and other so-called "homebrew celebrities" tell you to do. Experiment for yourself. No need to boil the wort for 90 minutes for fear of DMS, trust me.

I hope you enjoy the beer. Everyone who has tried it enjoys it, and I get requests year 'round for it.

Back