hello-- made a stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harihari

Reaction score
HI all. I am new to this. A friend of mine brews professionally here in Vancouver BC and urged me to try beer-making.

I had tried making wine, didn't much like it, and so I since I had a bunch of gear already I got a few more items and made (from extract) a dryish stout. I used an extract, some roasted crystal malt and hops (which I got from Dan's brewing store here-- very helpful guys). I decided that I didn't want to bottle with sugar, so I bought a keg and a CO2 tank.

I wanted a dry stout, like Guinness, and I pretty much got that. The only problem was, I think I made about 20 litres instead of 23 (I used too little water, or a ton of it evaporated), so the brew is a bit thicker than I originally wanted. The brew is GREAT-- I would say, it is 90% of what I hoped for. I like the keg and tank system (MUCh less work) and I like not using sugar to ferment, and the cleanliness of it (no residue in the beer).

Anyway, I am going to make another batch of the same stuff, perhaps tweaking the hops, and definitely adding more H2O.

chris

Congrats on your first brew. You'll notice quite a few people on these forums will start with more than 5 gallons of wort when they pitch their yeast. You lose a lot of beer to hops absorbtion and trub. I tend to start with 5.25-5.5 gallons of wort.

hi steinsato-- thanks-- now can you clarify, what is "trub"? I'm guessing I lost about .75 litre in transition from bucket to rackign carboy. I guess if I have a 23 litre recipe I shoudl start with 25 or so litres, huh?

chris

Trub is just all the crap that settles out in your fermentor, yeast, dead yeast, hops, etc. The whitish sludge. Yeah, 2 extra liters would be a good amount to shoot for.

Hello Vancouver Brewer. Glad to see another canuck getting into the game.
What part of Vancouver are you in? I spent most of my life in Langley up until 6 yrs ago when I moved to Vernon and started Hop Dawgs.
Hope your stout turns out well.
HD

Hello Vancouver Brewer. Glad to see another canuck getting into the game.
What part of Vancouver are you in? I spent most of my life in Langley up until 6 yrs ago when I moved to Vernon and started Hop Dawgs.
Hope your stout turns out well.
HD

hey hawpdog--

main and 33rd is where I am at. Going for next brew probably this weekend.

Back