Hello Home Brew Talk!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zgreens

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals! I am a looong time lurker who has decided that it is time to participate. My name is Zach, and I live in western Mass. I have a degree in Cell and Molecular Biology, so I'm a huge nerd when it comes to those crazy little beasties that we all love. I am currently working for a biotech company specializing in Bioreactors (the baddest a$$ fermenters you'll ever see), so I am learning a lot about PID control, Equipment, and fermentation from them.

A little brewing background:
I started brewing 7 years ago, with one of those 5 gallon extract jobs that you find everywhere. Not to get high and mighty on anyone, but that felt a bit like making a grilled cheese and calling yourself a cook. Don't get me wrong, grilled cheese is tasty.
About 2 years after that, I move to 5 gallon all grain in a cooler. 3 years later, 10 gallon batches in homemade keggles on turkey fryers. I started making the mistake of giving away brew, thinking I had too much to drink. Couldn't keep up with the demand haha.
After parting ways with SWMBO, I decided to jump in head first, and pulled the trigger on what will either be my biggest time sink to date, or my best success (fingers crossed).

New equipment:
3x 25 gallon kettles, set up for HERMS, with a 50' steel coil as HEX, installed through the side of the HLT (weldless, may decide to weld)

A brand new brew stand! I bought one, and am having it shipped. I know, not very DIY, but I can't afford to start welding as a hobby! 3x 210k btu banjo style burners (bg14). On board power recepticles, pump mounts, etc

2x chugger pumps

Tower of power control module to control HLT on input from the HEX out

A 27 gallon conical (triclamps)

And tooooons more!

I will most certainly be asking for assistance with my setup once everything is arrived, and pre assembled, so in the meantime, I'd love to give back. If anyone has questions or input about my rig, I'd love to hear it!
Thanks for having me folks, Cheers! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402255631.572307.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1402255640.382772.jpg

Welcome!

I also have the same B.S. degree and a Phd in yeast genetics.

Question, did you consider going electric with the brewery? if so, why not?

Take care,

I did consider electric, the reason I didn't go that way was basically that I want to brew outdoors, and my only access to 240v is in my dank basement. I'd rather be on the back porch. Additionally I have more confidence in my ability to not kill myself with propane haha.
I know a lot of people go electric and never look back, but it's not my thing.
Love that you have a degree in yeasties! You've definitely heard of the company I work for.

Back