Hello, good to find a community of brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopster

Reaction score
Hello Home Brew Talk Friends!

Started brewing in 1977 when introduced to the craft by some German engineers in Huntsville Alabama. I still remember my first 2 or 3 home brew beers, almost could not drive home! Back then, finding malt was easy, go to the local Winn Dixie and get 5 # of malt extract (they had light or dark on the shelves). Remaining ingredients came from a mail order supplier called Bet Mar, in North Carolina I think. Simple system: corn surgar, Burton water salts, and Haulterhaur hops. Sanitation, never heard of it at that time. Beer went from primary to bottle after 7 to 10 days. Most batches were good, but you expected an occasional disaster. Always bottled (I still have 8 cases of bottles), kegging was unknown. Anyway, brewed until 1989-1990, when various issues required too much time, and beer making stopped.

Fast forward to 2005, and I get back into home brew after recieving a kegerator for a important milestone birthday (I imagine you can do the math a guess which one). I am not a big fan of most American beer, well, at least not a fan enough to get a 7-1/2 gallon keg. So the brand new kegerator sat unused for some time. Then, I started internet research and was amazed at the wealth of information available. Purchased the Papazian home brew bible and was ready to brew again. Although I do not have a home brew supply store close, I frequently travel to Birmingham AL and purchased new equipment and some extract kits from the HBS there. The kits had crushed grains, a new experience. The beer turned-out to be great. I have since purchased from Midwest and Austin, and brewed 14 extract kit batches, all but one has been really good. Also, I have not bottled since December '05, use two kegs, and really love the results. Still a basic extract brewer, free time is scarce.

I found this forum during my early research and frequently came back to read various threads. I have really enjoyed being a visitor to this site, and thought I would join, although I do not frequent the internet since I spend a lot of time in front of a computer at work ( and would rather do something else in my free time). Hopefully, I will be able to add something to the community. As you can surmise from the screen name, I love hoppy beer (or happy beer).

Happy homebrewing!

Welcome
My sister lives in Huntsville AL. She has reciently met the owner of the Brewery there and they sat had coffee and talked about BEER.. I guess because I brew they had something to talk about. You gotta love all things beery.
again welcome
JJ

Back