Hello from the UP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitchi Gumee

Reaction score
Hey folks, this forum looks amazing in general. I'm only on my third batch but I've already learned a ton on here. Looks like a fair amount of brewers here from Michigan, and even a few from Michigan's better half! Very nice.

Good luck!

Oh noes, not another UP'er ;). There's apparently tons of yous here...welcome to the forums! One of our mods (aptly named "yooperbrew") is from UP there.

Welcome! This is required listening.

1581422.jpg

Holy wah- dat reminds me! I'll be in Marquette July 7 & 8 for the NMU freshman orientation. (um, not for me, but for my kid). Anyway, if you want to grab a beer at the Vierling, let me know!

yah sure, ya betchya!! Keep me posted.

Welcome Kitchi Gumee from de udder end of the state! :mug:

My daughter is an "unofficial" yooper. She's in her final (I hope), year at NMU!

Ya dat Vierling is goot!

Where do you guys buy your grains/malts/whatnots around MQT/Central UP? Can't be just White's, or is there another place? So far I've been using kits put together from down by Lansing at Michigan Brewing Company (picking them up when I'm down that way, which is often right now). But for actually getting the goods at home, what do youse do?

Thanks

I order mostly online, and get a few things in Spread Eagle, WI when she has what I can use. The is accommodating, and helpful and tries to stock what people need. It's not a huge store, though, so I can't always get grain from her. I order from Austinhomebrew.com the most, because they have flat rate $6.99 shipping.

I found White's totally useless, and after he treated me poorly when I was in there, I won't be back. He has the yeast and hops sitting out, and when I asked him how long they've been unrefrigerated, he snapped at me and said, "I've sold them like that for 15 years. I don't need you to tell me how to sell beer making supplies". Well, since he only sells ancient malt extract and unrefrigerated stuff, I thought he was right. He obviously knows more than I do about good beer making ingredients. I did buy some wine making stuff from him, and a few other items, but never again. I haven't even set foot in there in a year or more.

I also buy supplies in Appleton, since I do get down that way occasionally. I'm also thinking that when I get to Milwaukee, that I'll check out SuperiorBrew's new LHBS in Slinger, WI. He has alot of stuff, and he's online here often, so I think that will be a good stop for me!

Welcome!

YooperBrew, NMU, really? what about MTU? Well at the very least its not LSSU.

I miss the UP, especially the Keweenaw Brewing Company.

My husband is alumnae of Tech, but my daughter is going into education- NMU is a great school for teachers. She was enrolled at LSSU and accepted their scholarship package, but changed for NMU very recently. Finlandia wanted her to play hockey for them, but she really didn't like Finlandia at all.

I'm glad to see so many Yoopers and wannabe Yoopers around! At this rate, they'll be like, 10, before you know it!

Welcome again, Kitchi Gumee.

White's is good for emergency purchases of airlocks, hoses, carboys etc. I know yooperbrew has an overall negative impression of this business (hell hath no fury... ), but some of the employees are very knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. I brew with one of the clerks (Kevin) and can attest to his brewing prowess and good nature. Jeff and Amanda are also good sources for brew chat.

However, yoops is spot on in her assesment of their brewing ingredients. This is partly a managerial problem (as yooper mentioned) and partly a supplier issue. If you live in MQT and frequent white's for liquid purchases, you can occasionally score fresh malt and hops, but I would not rely on them. Online purchases are the obvious alternative. However, you might consider talking to some of the local brew master (e.g. Jasper Ridge, Herford and Hops) about procuring malt. Of course, ease your way into this and you might be surprised at the results;).

Additionally, I brew with a handful of other all-grainers in Marquette and we are always sharing/trading a pound of this or an ounce of that. If you would be interested in joining our informal co-op (translation-> Drink and brew with us), let me know.

Happy Brewing and Welcome to HBT!!!!!!!!

Welcome.:rockin:

Holy wah- dat reminds me! I'll be in Marquette July 7 & 8 for the NMU freshman orientation. (um, not for me, but for my kid). Anyway, if you want to grab a beer at the Vierling, let me know!

my brother graduated form NMU, he's a woodshop teacher.

I think it might have the best campus of all.

I'm glad to see so many Yoopers and wannabe Yoopers around! At this rate, they'll be like, 10, before you know it!

I graduated from Tech (Dec. '04) and would be thrilled to still be up there, but alas the job market is still MI(A). Regardless, it's always nice to see another Michigander on the board. Welcome!

Back