Hello from snowy Minnesota

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aberrix

Reaction score
Hello from snowy Minnesota!

I am completely new to home brewing although I've been curious about it for quite a while... I've been reading, researching and pricing out gear and last weekend stumbled upon what I believe to be a great kit I found on craigslist. Also, I'm local to Midwest Supplies and Northern Brewer which has made window shopping and dreaming pretty fun although dangerous (for my wallet) as I can go buy things over lunch... Anyways, within my circle of friends I'm known for going overboard on hobbies. I don't just dip my toe in, I usually just jump in full on. But hell, I figure why buy just to have to pay again later to upgrade and replace, I'd rather go all-in up front. I was just hoping to get some feedback on equipment as of now, things I may be missing and things I may not need.

My equipment;
32qt stainless steel brew pot
6.5 gallon glass carboy w/ handle (for a primary - I wanna see :))
6.5 gallon plastic (bucket) fermenter
(3) 5 gallon glass carboys w/ handles
stoppers and airlocks for everything
21" stainless steel spoon
triple scale hydrometer with test jar
long beer thief
16oz of one step no-rinse cleaner
airlock & carboy brushes
fermtech auto siphon
dial thermometer
analog refrigerator thermostat control unit
BrewLogic cornelius keg system
2nd 5gal cornelius keg
carbonator cap
wort chiller
20 empty grolisch flip-top bottles
Sar San

Thanks in advance!
:mug:

Welcome. On behalf of this entire forum I wish to say "sorry" that it took us this long to welcome you and that I had to be the first one to greet you.

I was just in your fair city over Thanksgiving. My Brother-in-law and sister are both Presbyterian ministers around their.

Nice list of gear. Look forward to hearing how you continue to put it to use.

Welcome! I just got here a few days ago, but everyone seems to be great and willing to help!

You have quite the impressive list of equipment there...what are you using for sanitizer? One thing I've learned from reading through all these threads is that cleaner != sanitizer...Ha ha? :)

ahh yes, I forgot to add that to the list but I was aware.

I picked up a 6.5 gallon glass carboy (for my primary) and a fermatech beer/wine thief last night from Midwest Supplies. I plan to hit Northern Brewer over lunch today and get some Star-San and my first exctact kit; Caribou Drool. I hope to be brewing next week!

Hey and welcome! I'm in your neck of the woods too. I saw that craigslist ad and you DID get a GREAT deal for all that stuff.

You need to find a fridge still?? Sounds like you are next in line for a KEGERATOR build! Whahahaha let the brewing addiction begin! Seriously this hobby kicks butt and I am mad at myself for waiting so long to give it a go. Bottling is a PITA and I have been expanding and improving my kegerator for a while now. Not done yet! I only have two perlick taps but I am drinking outta five kegs right now hehehehehe evil laugh! The world of beer will be mine! MINE!

I'm in your neck of the woods too. I saw that craigslist ad and you DID get a GREAT deal for all that stuff.

haha, nice... yeah I think it was a pretty good deal... I actually even talked him down $50 on his listing price ;) I bought a second keg today (purely for root beer) and some sprechers root beer syrup which I plan an mixing and kegging tonight... I also picked up my first extract kit from Northern Brewers "Extra Special Bitter" which I plan on brewing next week and some other bits and bobs... man, this adds up quick! I can't wait to get brewing!

and yes, I'm trying to source a 5cu chest freezer already :)

Back