Hello from San Antonio Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LloydRenee

Reaction score
Well I have been lurking in these forums for the past few weeks and Friday me and a Buddy finally went and did it! We bought a brew kit and planned to do our first batch ever on Saturday!! We have friends who brew all the time and if they can do it we figure so can we. Saturday came and before we began our batch we went to our local brewery for a tour and lots of beer. Ranger Creek Brewery...10 bucks got us trashed...really we had like 8 plus beers for that price. It was their open house. Anyways needles to say we were to drunk to Brew on Saturday so we did it Sunday.

Our first batch was an English Brown Ale from Brewers Best.

We followed lal the instructions and now its sitting there calling to us. I only have one concern...theres no bubbling in the air lock. we are scared and hope we didnt mess it up. Crossing our fingers and waiting....

We have a house bar/Man cave pub thats awesome and we figure what better way to make it more fun than to have our own craft beer. Please wish us luck and feel free to share any advice!!:mug:

No bubbling? Did you remember to add the yeast? Is there a krausen (looks kind of like head of foam on top of the wort)? If no krausen, then I think you have a problem. If there is a krausen, you may not have a good seal on you air lock (sometimes it loosens from the pressure).

Good luck.

Yes I added yeast from a packet just like they said. Never heard of the word Krausen but I am going to add it to my mental dictionary!! To answer your question though, yes I do have that foam around the top. It looks like the fading head on a beer. So I am hoping its what you say and I just have a bad air lock seal. The fact that you described pretty much what I see makes me feel a little better about it...I still may be a bit scared. Can anyone hold this poor beer brewing noob? lol

I attached a picture of one of my brews that shows krausen. The one in the picture is pretty thick (northwest ale yeast seems to do that).

When my air lock breaks it's seal I just push the rubber stopper(aka bung) back down into the hole in the fermenter. When you push it down you will see the water in the air lock move toward the air exit. That is back pressure which means your fermentation is producing CO2 (a good sign).

As long as you sanitized when brewing you should have very little chance of infection. Don't worry.

image-2171045792.jpg

Keep in mind it can take a couple days before the bubbles really begin to show, I'm not sure how long it's been since you brewed, but just trying to help out.

CycloneBrewCrew said:
Keep in mind it can take a couple days before the bubbles really begin to show, I'm not sure how long it's been since you brewed, but just trying to help out.

Cyclone is right. It could a take a few days to get going. It can also go very fast depending on the yeast variety. If you start to think it may be done or get worried you can take a hydrometer (specific gravity)reading. Your kit should tell you what finish gravity to expect.

Well I am now relieved. Never thought I'd do a happy dance for air bubbles...err I mean grunt and howl. LOL me and my buddy satred at the airlock yesterday and it was bubbling every 3 to 4 seconds so we did something right!

Thanks everyone for the hellos and advice!!

profmorrismsu I like the photo I think I need a glass fermenter now too!! That would make staring at the bucket more fun. Is that what they call a carboy?

Welcome to another Texan! Forget about the airlock. It is not an indication of fermentation. The ONLY way to know if your beer is fermenting is to take a gravity reading, either with a hydrometer or a refractometer. Leave it alone for at least 2 weeks. Don't touch it! Don't even look at it! :D In 2 weeks take a reading. If the reading stays the same for 2-3 days in a row, you'll know that fermentation is complete. I'm sure you did just fine and will make great beer! Good luck. :mug:

Oh, and RDWHAHB!

Well I am now relieved. Never thought I'd do a happy dance for air bubbles...err I mean grunt and howl. LOL me and my buddy satred at the airlock yesterday and it was bubbling every 3 to 4 seconds so we did something right!

profmorrismsu I like the photo I think I need a glass fermenter now too!! That would make staring at the bucket more fun. Is that what they call a carboy?

He's satre-ing at you.

sat2.gif

Texsa brewers untie!!!

LloydRenee said:

Yes. That's a carboy. I like it for the exact reason you mention. I love to watch the beer brew.

By the way, I am a Texan, too. My family is from San Antonio and La Vernia (south on 87). I moved to MS for a job.

Good luck.

PS. Fermentation makes alcohol and carbon dioxide which bubbles out of your airlock. When people say the only way to know there was fermentation is with a hydrometer, they are right. Hydrometer readings are the only way to be certain fermentation has occurred (or has not). But, bubbles are a real good sign. 99% of the time the bubbles are the only clue you need.

I have been a patient and good boy!! We have left it alone. It actually starting bubbling like crazy for about 4 days so I was happy with that. Now this weekend we make our second batch after we bottle this on. We are thinking about doing a blonde.

Back