Hello from Philadelphia (actually outside of Philly)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psuicers

Reaction score
I am a new brewer and pretty much just new to everything. I have a question about the hydrometer and the original and final gravities, and didnt know where to post it, so this is where. When is the best time to take an original gravity reading? before you aerate and add the yeast or after you add the yeast. The 2 beers i have done so far i took the original gravity like the next day, which is probably to late, and of course the gravities were off. Both original gravities were off like .010 or maybe a little less. the one was supposed to be at 1.054 and when i measured it, it was at 1.045. Basically my question is does it matter a whole lot of how far away these reading were and if so, how do i get it closer to what it is supposed to be? Do you have to add more/less water to get close to it. I used like 5 and half gallons of water on the one that was 1.045. If i had used less would it of been closer to what it should of have been? Sorry for all these questions but im just trying to understand the whole gravity readings and when to take them. Any answers would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for those who respond.

I try to take my OG readings before I pitch my yeast. Since extracts have a pretty set gravity potential, you can pretty much go with the recipe OG as what you had. Sometimes with extracts it's hard to get a good mixture with the wort and the added water to get an accurate reading. If your recipe called for 5 gallons and you ended up with 5.5, then yeah, that will mess up your OG. You basically watered down the sugars in the wort and ended up with a lower OG. No biggie really. It will still be beer. Trust me, the learning curve never stops.....A great site to help with OG and FG and get your ABV%. Also does the correction for temperature (which can screw up your OG/FG readings also.)

http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv.php

Philly burbs in the house. Welcome to the madness!!
Hammy has the right idea.

Back