Hello from NYC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steinfiller

Reaction score
I am sorry about posting earlier and not introducing first. Well here it is. Just got into brewing recently. I was up in Rhode Island for a wedding and got there a little early for the church, drove past brewery on the way there and decided to kill two hours before the ceremony.

Alway's drank many different beers and while sitting in the brewery drinking very good oktoberfest thought to myself this would be cool to do.

Had most of the equipment necessary lying around and purchased ingredients two weeks ago. Finally got around to making the brew last friday. All is well for right now, more to come.

Fellow NYer here. Just brewed my first batch a little over a week ago...and English-Style IPA. Will be bottling tomorrow.

Let's get together and swap or brew together some time, no?

About me: 27, cali raised, been in NYC about 5 years. Currently in Grad School at NYU and working for Deloitte, but still manage to spend way too much time on homebrew web sites.

Where are you in NYC? I'm UWS, near Columbia University (103 and Broadway).

I noticed NYC has a homebrewers guild that meets at Burp Castle but I've never been to their meetings. They get guest speakers (brewmasters from around the area), taste beers, swap recipes, etc.

AND burp castle is actually an exceptional belgian beer bar, with "monks" in full garb, no one under 25 allowed and where voices must be kept to a whisper.

there is seating and space for maybe 10-15 serious beer lovers inside, and a very cool/intimate outdoor patio for 3 or 4 folks looking right out onto a busy street but with trees providing privacy. a good place to ponder a brew.

if you visit NYC, it's definitely worth visiting. about 2 or 3 doors down is McSorley's, the longest operating bar in NYC, which only allowed women after the women's rights movement but still has no ladies room. another great, historical beer spot.

caliKOng said:
Fellow NYer here. Just brewed my first batch a little over a week ago...and English-Style IPA. Will be bottling tomorrow.

Let's get together and swap or brew together some time, no?

About me: 27, cali raised, been in NYC about 5 years. Currently in Grad School at NYU and working for Deloitte, but still manage to spend way too much time on homebrew web sites.

Where are you in NYC? I'm UWS, near Columbia University (103 and Broadway).

I noticed NYC has a homebrewers guild that meets at Burp Castle but I've never been to their meetings. They get guest speakers (brewmasters from around the area), taste beers, swap recipes, etc.

I just sent you a PM. We can definitely work something out.

Hey guys...where do you go for ingredients? I don't think there's been a HBS in NYC for some time.

Didn't burp castle convert recently to a sports bar? Or is that Brewsky's?

welcome aboard guys! i've hit a couple of the brewpubs in NYC....Heartland right in Times Square, and another over on the water somewhere.....can't remember. just know the had a Taxi Cab Blonde Ale? both were good pubs!

glad you found us and welcome to the addic...er.....hobby!

Back