Hello from Nashua, NH - with a great keg deal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhwrecker

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

My names Mort, and I'm a keg bowler.

Part of the 12 step process is acknowledging your issues. I also finally wanted to jump in and say hello. I'm definitely a rookie homebrewer, but I'm a veteran beer lover, and, as mentioned, I am also a keg bowler....

I first heard about this forum from Paul the Nurse, a brewer that lives less than 100 miles from me, but who I had travel 1200 miles to meet on a dive boat off the coast of Key Largo over this past Labor Day. We were discussing beer - well, actually, he was discussing beer, and I was listening avidly, and he mentioned this site, as well as something he called Masstoberfest. His brewing and pig roast party last month turned out to be a fantastic weekend, where I was able to meet 3 or 4 of you (Dakotarules, Bird, PTN, and a few others whose names/handles escapes me, sorry). Watching 4 different people brew on different sets of gear at the same - including a guy with hot rocks - was like an epiphany - I knew I was hooked on brewing (although probably not with the rock thing..).

Over the past year, I had terrific experiences brewing half a dozen batches of IPAs and others at a local "brew on site" place (Incredibrew), and had helped a buddy brew beer a few times at his house, and was getting ready to make the plunge doing it all from scratch at home myself, when I joined up here, and started reading.

All I can say is - wow. I've belonged to several different forums for other work/sport/hobby (most notably wreck diving), but they pale in comparison to the number of enthusiastic members, categories, threads, photos etc. The detailed information, photos, schematics, and support is very unique, and I'm excited about jumping in, and getting more involved with all aspects of brewing.

But enough rambling - I wanted to show my thanks already by passing on a great deal for anyone that needs kegs up in the southern NH/northern MA area. I was at a salvage yard this morning in Hudson, NH, and there were a bunch of nearly new kegs (1/2 barrel and 1/6 barrel) available, for the cost of the scrap stainless steel. I got 5 for about $85 (I needed 3, and my buddy needed 2), and there were at least 8-10 more. Here's a photo of one pile of kegs that were available (after I already got ours), and there were at least 3-4 others around too. I was hoping for some corny's, but they didn't have any of those.

I also got some brand new 3/4" copper tubing that I'm going to use for a counter flow chiller, and a stainless control box for the electric keggles.
http://www.granitestatesalvage.com/
Granite State Salvage Co., Inc.
31 Dracut Road • Hudson, NH 03051 • Phone: (603) 882-9325

Oh, and as far as keg bowling is concerned? We were on Block Island (off the coast of Rhode Island) the first of October, and Poor Peoples Pub was hosting an Octoberfest. I have "rules" if anyone wants 'em, but basically you stack 3 half kegs on top of 3 corny's, then roll an empty 1/2 keg down the plywood lane. It's kinda tricky holding a keg in front of you, then rolling it when you can't really see what you're doing, but the sound of kegs hitting and falling is awesome!!!!!

Plus, is anyone here a member of Brew Free or Die! - please touch base, as it seems like I could learn a lot from that group, or any other brew clubs in the area. I work in Lexington, MA, and live in Nashua.

If anyone in the eastern Mass, southern NH area needs kegs, I'd be glad to do a favor for you and pick some up. I'd love to trade some for some good cornys.

Have a great weekend, and Brew On!

Dave "Mort" Morton
nhwrecker, Nashua

Kegs_in_Hudson.jpg

keg_bowl1.jpg

keg_bowl2.jpg

keg_bowl3.jpg

Back