Hello from Maryland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MULE

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am just getting started with the whole brewing thing. My brother and I have a honey ale in bottles and an IPA in the primary. Our first brew is a distant hangover.

I am really impressed with amount of support you're giving to begginers of this craft and look forward to sharing hopfully more success stories than failures.

I am a big fan of strong hoppy beers like Dog Fish 60 and 90 minute pale ale.

Now if someone has any advise on how to convince the wives that the boil doesn't make the house smell that bad :mug:

Russ

MULE said:
Now if someone has any advise on how to convince the wives that the boil doesn't make the house smell that bad :mug:

If you are looking for miracle workers, perhaps you should try a religious forum. ;)

Anyhow, welcome to HBT. You'll find that you aren't the only members from Maryland.

MULE said:
Hello all,

I am just getting started with the whole brewing thing. My brother and I have a honey ale in bottles and an IPA in the primary. Our first brew is a distant hangover.

I am really impressed with amount of support you're giving to begginers of this craft and look forward to sharing hopfully more success stories than failures.

Russ
Welcome aboard. Good luck on getting your wife to enjoy the smell, my wife still does not like it after all these years of brewing. She's complaining now about all the carboys and cases I have sitting around carbonating. The basement is to cold for bottle conditioning right now but great for lager brewing and cold conditioning in the secondary. I've already talked to the neighbor about storing some cases at his place to bottle condition, it'll just cost me a few homebrews.

Thanks for welcome.

I consider myself lucky because she likes a plethora beers albeit stouts, porters and ales. Brewing something she likes should be easy.

Viva the Peoples Republic of Maryland. Maryland Brew Day 08 sounds like it will be a good time.

MULE said:
Viva the Peoples Republic of Maryland. Maryland Brew Day 08 sounds like it will be a good time.
hammer_and_paddle.jpg

Long live the Paddle & Sickle, my Brewshevik comrade.

eh, my SWMBO likes the smell, and you should come to Maryland Big Brew Day 2008 at my house

98EXL said:
eh, my SWMBO likes the smell, and you should come to Maryland Big Brew Day 2008 at my house
Sounds cool. Since I am a rookie, I fear I would be less help and more in the way (with 20 questions). However, I do have a few cases of Honey Ale on hand. The IPA will be ready for bottling in about three weeks.

Not sure where you guys are hosting it. I am about 25 minutes away from Fredrick and about an hour out from Baltimore.

MULE said:
Thanks for welcome.

I consider myself lucky because she likes a plethora beers albeit stouts, porters and ales. Brewing something she likes should be easy.

Wish she would enjoy my beers as much as I do. She doesn't drink much at all and when she does it's usually a Mike's hard lemonade. I caould buy her a case of that and it lasts about 6 months. On the bright side that leaves more money for me to brew and buy good beers with.

Warrior said:
Wish she would enjoy my beers as much as I do. She doesn't drink much at all and when she does it's usually a Mike's hard lemonade. I caould buy her a case of that and it lasts about 6 months. On the bright side that leaves more money for me to brew and buy good beers with.
Tough break there bro.

MULE said:

No doubt you're no stranger to the Dogfish Head Grille in Gaithersburg then. ;)

Welcome aboard!

We need more people from Western Maryland! I think we've met our quota for down state brewers.

I would agree on calling Dogfish Head Grille mecca. I'm thinking about going there tomorrow. SWMBO is going out of town and I have nothing else to do so why not. It's either that or Hank's which is right up the street, but doesn't really fit well when trying to find a decent brew.

adx said:
I would agree on calling Dogfish Head Grille mecca. I'm thinking about going there tomorrow. SWMBO is going out of town and I have nothing else to do so why not. It's either that or Hank's which is right up the street, but doesn't really fit well when trying to find a decent brew.
Growlers (Used to be called Old Town Tavern) in Gaithersburg isn't bad. I used to throw them a lot of money back in the day. I haven't been there since they changed the name of the place.

I've been to Growlers of Gaithursburg. In fact, I have pictures of their giant wort chiller and CO2 and Nitrogen tanks the size of large refrigerators. :D

I recall their beer being decently good but I found the current varieties a bit restricted. They had three kinds of stout, a porter and two Kolshes. Food was okay.

MULE said:
Thanks for welcome.

well i really do live in the peoples republic.. peoples republic of takoma park :)

Orpheus said:
Unfortuately! It's the traffic that makes me brew and drink!:tank:
No ****. Traffic here sucks. God forbid I get on 270 at 0600. It's a parking lot.

Kevin Dean said:
I've been to Growlers of Gaithursburg. In fact, I have pictures of their giant wort chiller and CO2 and Nitrogen tanks the size of large refrigerators. :D

I recall their beer being decently good but I found the current varieties a bit restricted. They had three kinds of stout, a porter and two Kolshes. Food was okay.
They used to have an IPA and Nut Brown that rocked. I think it's time for some recon.

Their brewing gear is awesome. Their brew master was an assh0le but you just respected the guy for what does.

MULE said:
God forbid I get on 270 at 0600. It's a parking lot.

My job doesn't have a set schedule, which is really awesome. On my commute from Frederick to Alexandria, if I leave prior to 8 am I get there the same time I do if I leave at 10. That's just sick.

I'm SO ready for personal aircraft.

Any of you marylanders know the tax laws very well or a way around my little issue? I am a MD resident who lives in VA fulltime (Navy) and somehow i owe MD $700 of my hard earned income. I figured it might have been an error on the tax website so i tried another site, same thing, and then i did them the old fashioned way, and still, around $700. Its pretty bogus i owe MD that much money and do not even live in the state.

As I recall from my military days, you are supposed to be paying taxes to your home of record, even if you don't technically live there. If you look on your earnings and leave statement, you should see that you have MD taxes withheld. If you have no taxes withheld, you should see your personnel people (this might explain why you have to pay $700). If you are having VA taxes withheld, same deal, see your personnel people. You should be paying taxes to only one state. You can change your home of record to VA, but then you would pay VA taxes. Either way, you should be paying state taxes to one state, unless your home of record is a state that doesn't have state income tax, like Florida and a couple of others.

Redskins838892 said:
Any of you marylanders know the tax laws very well or a way around my little issue? I am a MD resident who lives in VA fulltime (Navy) and somehow i owe MD $700 of my hard earned income. I figured it might have been an error on the tax website so i tried another site, same thing, and then i did them the old fashioned way, and still, around $700. Its pretty bogus i owe MD that much money and do not even live in the state.
Every year I was in the Army, I owed Maryland Taxes. I would speak to your admin folks about fixing this issue. It will never end if you don't.

Alrighty. Part of my taxes are withheld becaue because every month i pay like 100 bucks for MD Income taxes. I think part of the problem is that last year (2006) I was only taxed for half of my pay because of a deployment, so i ended up getting money from MD. This year is totally different because every cent i made is getting taxed. Well, i guess i will just pay the taxes for roads i do not drive on and schools my non-existant kids do not go too. Anyone else think its a load of crap though? I know its the rules and all but this rule sucks royally!

The benefit, though, of paying those taxes is when you come back to Maryland and want to go to college to use your GI Bill, you get to pay in-state tuition.

mattm3 said:
The benefit, though, of paying those taxes is when you come back to Maryland and want to go to college to use your GI Bill, you get to pay in-state tuition.
I have yet to use the GI bill. It's on my list of things to do. I have eight more years to use it.

It's not easy. I have a wife, two kids and a dog. I'm lucky to spend time brewin.

Yea, i suppose the instate tuition is a benefit. I am not planning on going back to school as soon as i get out of the navy though. UMD is nearly impossible for someone like myself to get into these days.

Mule,

what branch of the service were you in?

Back