Hello from Italy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbworth

Reaction score
I got into brewing about 6 months ago and have made 5 batches. So far so good! I'm in the military so I am only able to brew from kits that ship to my address. I was truly amazed at how good the beer tasted when my first batch was finally ready (it didn't last long).

I'll probably be looking at going into all grain when I get back to the states, but to be honest, what I have made with the extract kits has been so great that I'm really not in much of a hurry. I did manage to find a local brew shop here, but they don't really have a great selection and most of their goods are geared towards wine (which I have no reason to make as there is already an abundance of quality wine).

I lurked around here for a bit before I bit the bullet and purchased my kit and started brewing. My only regret is that I should have started sooner!!

Welcome to HBT! :)

Let me bug you about wine real quick. One reason to make your own wine is that it is fun. You are in one of the greatest grape growing areas of the world as well. Consider it. You could make a 150 lbs batch and put away 30ish bottles and send them home and have a keepsake from your time in italy for years after you're gone. Plus I see you're from ca so when you get home you can keep making more and more better wine.

Welcome to HBT! :)

Let me bug you about wine real quick. One reason to make your own wine is that it is fun. You are in one of the greatest grape growing areas of the world as well. Consider it. You could make a 150 lbs batch and put away 30ish bottles and send them home and have a keepsake from your time in italy for years after you're gone. Plus I see you're from ca so when you get home you can keep making more and more better wine.

Thanks for the info! I leave here next year, and I do plan on bringing plenty home with me. However, I plan on buying it from my favorite winery that has been doing it for many years. They have an awesome operation and the best wine I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. The best part is that it is not expensive and I have toured the place. Making wine just isn't something I'm personally interested in (I'd rather just drink it!).

I have no idea where I'll end up next, but I plan on bringing a lot of Italy back with me!

I'm up north. One thing I like about being here is I can buy cheap beer that have nice bottles that you don't find so easily or cheaply back in the states.

good OPSEC you don't want the red brigade to get cha!

I'm up north. One thing I like about being here is I can buy cheap beer that have nice bottles that you don't find so easily or cheaply back in the states.

Looks like I am on tap for Livorno late next year. Good to hear there is a LHBS I was wondering about that.

Looks like I am on tap for Livorno late next year. Good to hear there is a LHBS I was wondering about that.

I'm not sure what it would be like at Livorno, but the LHBS I have really isn't the greatest. They have a lot of kits and extract, but to be honest none of them look all that great.

You may be stuck buying extract kits from the states. This doesn't bother me since I've yet to get one that hasn't been great.

The biggest problem is that a lot of companies won't ship to APO. The few that do often charge high shipping costs as well. Sometimes as high as 1:1!

I am going to try and ship all 6 kegs full so I can get my pipeline up and running again. I will put Co2 on top of each and hope they survive.

I'm not sure what it would be like at Livorno, but the LHBS I have really isn't the greatest. They have a lot of kits and extract, but to be honest none of them look all that great.

You may be stuck buying extract kits from the states. This doesn't bother me since I've yet to get one that hasn't been great.

The biggest problem is that a lot of companies won't ship to APO. The few that do often charge high shipping costs as well. Sometimes as high as 1:1!

The easiest way to purchase your grain, hop and yeast in Italy is to head to Mr. Malt on-line shop. http://www.mr-malt.it/
Though you'll find different choices from what you could get in the USA.

Welcome to Italy! ;-)

The easiest way to purchase your grain, hop and yeast in Italy is to head to Mr. Malt on-line shop. http://www.mr-malt.it/
Though you'll find different choices from what you could get in the USA.

Welcome to Italy! ;-)

I was actually going to post that link. I know it is possible to do all grain here, but for myself I'd rather just wait until I get back where it is easier! I've heard good things about Mr. Malt. I guess they do liquid yeast and home deliveries.

If you're looking for beer kits and malt extract, you can find'em on Mr. Malt website here: http://www.mr-malt.it/index.php?cPath=87_21

Yes, they deliver to your home via courier. Usually it takes about one week to get what you've ordered. You can pay with credit card or to the mail man on the delivery.

Believe me or not, whatever you'll see in the italian homebrew shop, it comes from the hands of Mr Malt. ;-)

If you're looking for beer kits and malt extract, you can find'em on Mr. Malt website here: http://www.mr-malt.it/index.php?cPath=87_21

Yes, they deliver to your home via courier. Usually it takes about one week to get what you've ordered. You can pay with credit card or to the mail man on the delivery.

Believe me or not, whatever you'll see in the italian homebrew shop, it comes from the hands of Mr Malt. ;-)

How are the Munton's kits? These seem to have a lot of those. One of the many reasons I love Italy is because of the 66 cl beer bottles that come filled with cheap beer! You don't see many bottles like that...

How are the Munton's kits? These seem to have a lot of those.

I've never had one! I'm not much into beer kits, but I've tried several times Munton un-hopped extract and they're pretty good. You shoul check out Coopers kits (from Australia) or John Bull kits too.

One of the many reasons I love Italy is because of the 66 cl beer bottles that come filled with cheap beer! You don't see many bottles like that...

Because of the metric system? (Pulp fiction quote) :D

Feel free to pm me whenever you like if you need some translation.

Latest posts

Back