Hello from Indiana

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyatt_S

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've been coming to this site for a while now. I've gotten some good recipes and other ideas that have served me well. I've finally created an account because I wanted to ask a question that I couldn't find an answer to. I've posted that in the electric brewing section, but thought I would also introduce myself.

A friend of mine got me started in homebrewing a few years ago. We were both attracted to the relative ease of making beer from extract kits. He may have been happy doing that for a while, but I was quickly ready to get in over my head. We bought a double cooler setup and started brewing all-grain kits. We may have used that cooler setup twice before we went in on a RIMS tube. That may be giving us some issues, but nothing we can't figure out.

Currently we are brewing 10 gallon batches on a 3 keg setup. We're using Beersmith for recipe refinement, and the EZ water calculator for adjustments. He brings RO water from his home, we make our additions, and then adjust for pH in the mash. The RIMS tube is from brewers hardware. We've been using a simple fridge thermostat for the tube, but that's about to change. Soon we'll have a proper PID controller controlling the mash.

We don't do anything fancy, we just like to get together and brew! Lately, we've made two very good, very light beers which I'm quite proud of. Now we're ready to start fine tuning some recipes. We're having consistently high final gravities, which is what I've posted a question about, but I'm confident we're about to solve the mystery with help from this community.

Anyway, happy to be here! Hope I can share some experiences that might also make someone else's brewday more enjoyable.

Back