Hello from Charlotte, NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pandatrax

Reaction score
Hello and Happy New Years!

I have been lurking on the forums for a couple months now. To my surprise, my wonderful wife gave me a brewing system for Christmas. With the gift in hand, I have decided to come out of the shadows and say "Hi!" to everyone. I have learned a tremendous amount from y'all and want to say thank you!

I brewed my first batch on Thursday and it is a Sierra Pale Ale. I put it in a 6 gallon carboy and am planning on keeping it there until I bottle. What would the recommendation be for how long I should wait until I bottle? I was thinking 3 weeks...

Again, thank you for all the great information. I look forward to learning more as time goes on.

Happy New Years,
Doug

Welcome from New Bern, NC.

There are lots of different opinions about fermentation time. For most beers, I generally leave it for three weeks, and then bottle if gravity is stable (and it always is). It gives it some chance for clean-up if needed, even though I never know whether it actually was needed or not.

Welcome, I am a former Asheville resident.

As for fermentation time, mine varies based on the gravity reading. I just moved a beer today after 10 days in a primary because the gravity reading hasn't changed in 5 days. I am only moving to a secondary because I am adding Pineapple.

The standard seems to be 21 days in primary unless you are adding fruit or other flavor or simply want your beer to clear up, then you add to a secondary.

Welcome from Concord.

I've had good success leaving beers in primary for 24 to 28 days, then I put them in a spare fridge for three days at 38deg before bottling/kegging. After kegging the beer is always better after a week in the keggerator. Gives things time to settle out.

Enjoy, and check out some of the local brews if you haven't already. NoDa and Four Friends have some great beers. There are several others, too.

Back