Hello everyone! I'm thinking a stout...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drumking

Reaction score
Hi, so I'm currently enjoying a pale ale I brewed about a month ago. :mug: It was my first batch and it tastes pretty good now, better than when I tried a couple after two weeks in the bottle. I'm going to be starting another batch soon and I was thinking of either making a chocolate stout or a pumpkin beer; I'm leaning more towards the stout. Any suggestions on a chocolate stout recipe that wouldn't be too difficult to make? Oh, and I currently don't have a secondary and I'm not sure if it would be possible to make a chocolate stout properly without one. I've looked at recipes on here, but I wanted to get some seasoned opinions. Thanks!

I am assuming your doing extract... and yes you can. I have used chocolate nibs in that past to get that flavor. That is the beauty of homebrewing, you can make what ever you want. Welcome to our forum.

Just brewed this samples taste great 1 wk in primary. It is a variation of the popular deception milk stout on this site:

(grains were steeped for 45 mins between 155-160.

Milk stout

Extract:

4.50 lb Amber Dry Extract
1.5 lb Wheat dry extract (60% wheat)
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt
60L
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt 350L
0.5 lb Roasted Barley 300L
1 lb Lactose (Boil 10 min)

0.5 oz German Magnum 27.0 IBU (60 mins)

1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10 min)

Yeast: wyeast 1450

Yeast nutrient (5 mins)

Secondary: 4 oz. cacao nibs

Thanks, and yes, I'm doing extract brewing. Thanks for the recipe post hulkavitch. Hmm.. I wasn't sure about using much lactose because I didn't want it to taste very sweet. I'm interested in hearing how it turns out after it's ready. I had also thought of including oat flakes to possibly give it a creamier texture.

Latest posts

Back