Hello and thanks, and I'm on batch two!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dankhops

Reaction score
Hey folks! Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself, and thank you for some great advice. I brewed my first batch (an English Brown Ale) in the first week of Jan. Thought it turned out a little flat, as I assumed I messed up the addition of the primer, but took a sample bottle to my local home brewing shop and he said it tasted just like his recipe called for! that was nice to hear. it seems some of my bottles are a bit more carbonated than others. secondly, i drink nothing but IPA's at this point, so hitting an ESB style Brown Ale was probably part of it.

anyway, I'm on my second batch, and i went with a big IPA recipe. i took an American Pale Ale kit and modified with using both a LME and DME, and then also using 4 packets of hops!!! I'm hoping it comes out as big as I tried to make it.

a couple new twists this second time.

#1 - my lid blew. as i was working in my basement, it blew and frankly scared the hops out of me. that was a crazy fermentation, and i learned after reading here to use a blow off tube going forward. i'm a little concerned because i had to hit the road, so i had the wife take off the airlock on 2 occasions so the pressure would reduce a bit. plus i had her keep the airlock clean. so, i transferred my beer into the carboy today after 7 days, and noticed the lid in one little area, was not "snapped" shut per se. i'm hoping air didn't get in and ruin my batch.

#2 - when i removed the lid, there was a lot of dried squishy "foam" i guess, from when the beer was fermenting so heavily. i guess that's normal? it was caked pretty good. anyway, i sanitized my carboy, auto-siphon, stopper, and airlock, then racked it. i have no idea as to the secret of siphoning. i just put the tube in there, not touching the bottom, and start pumping. i have a 6 gallon carboy, so i guess i'm 3/4 full. hope that's not bad. it smelled like beer, if not a little funky. but that's IPA, i hope.

anyway, i guess all i can do is wait and see how it turns out. either way, i love this new passion, and am very thankful for this website! i hope to dial in a custom IPA recipe and bottle and label it for Labor Day. that's the goal.

ok, thanks again!

DSC01756.jpg

couple of other notes that popped into my head. i've yet to successfully do a hydrometer reading. can't figure it out. i can tell you that 3-4 of my brown ales and you'll be feeling pretty good.

baby steps.

any thoughts as to how my beer looks at this point?

Looks fine to me. Regarding your questions,

#1 - your fine with the airlock off and the lid cracked. With so much coming out, nothing is getting in

#2 - that's just dried krausen, no big deal. Your siphon technique is correct.

#3 - a 6 gal carboy is ok, however a 5 would be better for extended secondaries.

Yep, you are just fine. Have no fear - vigorous fermentations can leave behind some NASTY looking residue. It doesn't hurt a thing.

Your beer will be fine, I can't see any oxidation worries. Note that it isn't uncommon for people to get no airlock bubbles at all in otherwise obviously fermenting beer - due to leaky seals. Your CO2 pressure pushes out the oxygen, the beer is fine unless you start yanking off the lid, swirling things around, etc.

excellent! thanks guys!! i can't wait to get it bottled and drink!

just wondering, because i hear different opinions. my primary was 7 days, and i was planning on my secondary for 14 more days. then bottle and let sit for another 10 days. does that sound right?

excellent! thanks guys!! i can't wait to get it bottled and drink!

just wondering, because i hear different opinions. my primary was 7 days, and i was planning on my secondary for 14 more days. then bottle and let sit for another 10 days. does that sound right?

Normally, I'd say go at least two weeks (if not three) in primary, followed by a week or two secondary (if you choose to use one).

IPAs need to be bottled younger, though, to get the full punch of the hops. If gravity is stable after 7 days, go to secondary, do your dry hopping, and go with it. Not sure if 14 days is too long, check with the real hopheads.

Be aware that bottle conditioning is three weeks at 70 degrees for most beers - then a few days (or more, depening on who you ask) in the fridge.

Some beers are ready earlier, some later.

Back