Helles Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlanginDueces

Reaction score
So after playing around with my water calculator and doing some research (and not understanding most) I came up with this profile built from RO for a Helles I am brewing this weekend. Anyone who knows more than me have any thoughts?

Ca 49 Mg 7 Cl 61 So4 65
RA -39

Helles does not need that much mineralization. I'd cut those levels in half. Lager yeast do not need ANY calcium in the water supply. The malt supplies all that the yeast need.

+1
For light, delicate lagers, shoot for the lowest mineralization you can get while still achieving a 5.4-ish mash pH. A little chloride beats gypsum in most cases. Martin has stated in the past that 40 ppm Ca in the mash is beneficial, so I usually aim for that, but his comment about requiring none at all is also noted.

This being said, my personal preference is to err on the side of minerals vs. acidification with lactic acid - up to a point.

Helles does not need that much mineralization. I'd cut those levels in half. Lager yeast do not need ANY calcium in the water supply. The malt supplies all that the yeast need.

Which Bru'n water profile would you recommend for his Helles? Or Oktoberfest?

Something along the line of the boiled Munich profile provides guidance on how low the brewing water mineralization could be for those styles. However, you might want just a touch more in practice. AJ's recommendation of about 30 ppm Cl could be a consideration.

Latest posts

Back