Height difference required to prime a Chugger pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianQuaffer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Finalizing my set up before next weekend's first brew on it, and I'm wondering about the height difference required to prime a Chugger Pump efficiently.

I currently have the outlet from my BK and HLT at 4" above the top of the pump head and about 7" above the bottom. The inlet and outlet points will be positioned vertically, with the "in" at the 6 o'clock position and "out" at 12.

Will this be enough of a height difference to get a good flow to the pump, or will it be sluggish or problematic? I know the whole gravity/siphoning thing means it will get there, but I'm just wondering if it should be higher.

Cheers,

N

That's a little short but you can make it work. Can you lower the pump a little more?

Well give it a shot and keep the hose leading to the pump inlet very direct. When priming the pump, try loosening the outlet connector to let the air out.

Yeah, my plan was to have the ball valve on the "out" side slightly open until I see that the water/wort has gone into the pump, then close it, turn the pump on and then open the ball valve slowly until I have the flow rate I want.

You might try not connecting the hose to your valve until you see the liquid in the pump like you were doing.

What would be the best orientation for the inlet and outlet on a Chugger SS Inline? I'm worried about cavitation.

For either the center inlet or in-line models, when observed from the front of the pump head the best orientation is to have the outlet at 12 o'clock. Next best is to have the outlet at 3 o'clock. This is also true for the 800 series March pumps.

Cheers!

The motor shaft should be parallel to the ground, but the housing can be oriented at pretty much any rotational angle as long as you orient the pump head properly (the head can be repositioned relative to the motor)...

Cheers!

Back