Hefeweizen to harvest yeast: Ontario

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clone63

Reaction score
So, I was thinking of experimenting with hefe yeast, but cannot actually buy anything other than Cooper's here, so I finally realized, hey, I can harvest yeast from my favourite hefe- Hacker-Pschorr! Buuuut apparently they bottle condition with lager yeast, according to a few threads. Strange. Does anyone know a beer that may be accessible to me that I could use to culture yeast from? Either something Ontario based or widely globally available. If it's a craft brew from a smaller US operation, I doubt I can get it.

I did some harvesting last year from Schneider Wessen bottle. SW uses the same yeast to bottle. It took me 2 weeks to get the yeast going properly due to the age. But I suggest you learn to slant with agar agar gelentin. Once slanted I use a one year old yeast to make a new starter. You can contact me if you need some help.

Schneider weisse and aventinus are both available in Ontario, I see them in London all the time.

Why not just buy some wheat or wiesen yeast? WLP351,Wyeast 3333 - German Wheat, I have used both of these with excellent results.

Schneider Weisse I can get! Won't be trying this for at least a month though, my house is too cold to maintain a healthy ferment at this time, but now I don't have to wait for any info, thanks all!!!!!

Oh, haha, That's ok. Appreciate the thought. Canada post makes everything difficult.

Back