Hefeweizen recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonRikkles

Reaction score
Summer is approaching and I've been wanting to try my hand at a good summer beer. I plan to brew the following hefeweizen this week, but need some input before I head to the LHBS today or tomorrow after work. How does this look?

For 1 gallon:
1 lb German Pils
1 lb German Wheat Malt
2 oz Carapils

Mash at 152 for 60 mins with mash out

.3 oz Hallertau @ 60 mins

Dried orange peel @ 5 mins

Pitch WYL 3068, primary for 14 days, bottle condition with honey for 14 days.

Specs:
Estimated OG: 1.060
Estimated FG: 1.015
IBUs: 20
SRM: 4

Any recommendations or improvements? Thanks!

I'd target more like 10 IBUs. I don't think the carapils is necessary, but won't hurt. Orange peel is unusual for the style, but I don't get too hung up on style guidelines.

Done - I'm removing .5 oz of the hops to take me closer to 10.

I just came from my LHBS and was advised to use SB-06 instead of 3068. It's more cost effective to use half a pack of the dry yeast where I could re-use the other half, than to throw away half of the liquid yeast.

I'm thinking of using 1/2 oz of coriander as well.

I'm thinking of using 1/2 oz of coriander as well.

I never use more than 1g per gallon of coriander. My homebrew club went crazy for the wit I brought in to the last meeting that was spiced with only 5g of coriander in a 5 gal batch.

Some people put a little Munich or melanoidin to simulate decotion and make it a little maltier. 1.060 seems a little high... You might knock it down to the 1.050s. I just did one in the 40s.

Back