Hefeweizen recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tkelly32

Reaction score
So I was going to make a hefeweizen but accidently got 5 lbs of pilsner instead of 5.5 which was what the recipe calls for, I am going to use .5 lbs of caramunich to make up for this and then 5 lbs. of pale wheat, all belgium... what do you guys think of using the caramunich?

It might add the slightest bit of color. You could use some Light DME to compensate if you wanted.

I'd leave the caramunich out since it will probably put you out of your target SRM. I'm under the impression most hefes call for 60% wheat, 40% pilsner so i wouldn't worry about that missing grain, just aim for a better efficency and you'll make up for the lost ppgs

I'd leave the caramunich out since it will probably put you out of your target SRM. I'm under the impression most hefes call for 60% wheat, 40% pilsner so i wouldn't worry about that missing grain, just aim for a better efficency and you'll make up for the lost ppgs

So if I do 5.5 wheat 5 lbs pils is that a better ratio? I do have 6 lbs wheat so that is doable

It might add the slightest bit of color. You could use some Light DME to compensate if you wanted.

I have no DME i have more wheat though, so would .5 more of wheat be better than .5 of caramunich, if the caramunich is just adding color and not messing anything up I would opt for that because I want to have a unique hefe.

The color is much darker than I expected, and I like it a lot. Wort tasted great, very sweet and Hallertau hoppy.

I've always made it the traditional way and its amazing! For a 5 gallon batch I do

6Lbs Wheat malt
3.25Lbs Pilsner

which works out 65% wheat 35% Pilsner with one oz hallertauer at 60minutes. Don't forget the rice hulls.

Typically you don't want to add any caramel or crystal malts to a hefe recipe. This will add residual sweetness from the unfermentable sugars. You want a hefe to be relatively dry. If you want more malty flavor or more color substitute some munich malt for some of the pilsner.

Hmm good to know, it was just a .5 lb of Caramunich however, the color was dark before fermentation set in. As you can see now it looks much lighter.
Typically you don't want to add any caramel or crystal malts to a hefe recipe. This will add residual sweetness from the unfermentable sugars. You want a hefe to be relatively dry. If you want more malty flavor or more color substitute some munich malt for some of the pilsner.

photo.JPG

Latest posts

Back