Hefe Weissbier extract recipe - please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ignition

Reaction score
Hello all,

Firstly I have searched the forum and google and found a number of similar recipes related to the topic stated below but my main questions regard a few technical difficulties or options.

This will be my second ever brew. I am a biochemist by trade but the world of beer and its terminology is all quite new. I have laboratory technique but am still learning like any other as I go along :)

I just bottled my first which was an extract Mountain Goat Steam Ale Clone (credit to Dino from YouTube). It smelt and tasted nice but originally was very cloudy - probably to do with the Wheat Dry Malt Extract (DME). I was able to clear it by cold crashing and the addition of gelatin post fermentation.

So soon I will begin a "Hefe" and again will predominantly use extracts as that is all I can cater for at this point in time. Although as it is a wheat beer the amount of Wheat DME will increase dramatically since last time.

Here is my current recipe:

TARGETS:
19 L total (~5 gal).
14 IBU
5.45% ABV
1.055 OG
1.014 FG
Calculated using brewersfriend.

HOPS:
60 min boil with 43 g Hallertau Mittelfruh pellets (3.70%).

FERMENTABLES:
3 kg BRIESS Wheat DME (~65% Wheat malt, ~35% Barly malt).

YEAST:
Either Wyeast 3068 or White Labs WLP300 (whatever is available).

+ 1 sachet of yeast nutrient.

MY QUESTIONS!

1. Because my first brew was horribly cloudy (couldn't see through the hydrometer tube) until fixed what measures should I take to prevent non-desired protein or oil aggregates/ haze?

Understandably a "hefe" is cloudy due to the top fermenting yeast in solution and so I presume gelatin will be out of the question as I wouldn't want my yeast to aggregate and fall out of solution.

2. My specialty store offers grains which I can personally grind there on the spot. Is it worth buying some and performing a partial mash with them in a muslin bag? I am more than willing to do this and give it a try.

If so what would you recommend? 1:1 ratio of wheat malt and pilsner malt? If used the DME quantity will be recalculated for the desired specs.

I read (thanks to aiptasia - see link below) if I perform the partial mash at the correct temperature some of the natural enzymes released can help improve the clarity by breaking down a lot of the haze proteins.

3. Would you recommend the use of "Irish moss" or a "Whirlfloc" tablet?

4. How should I treat this DME, last time I added it cold and brought it up to ~ 65 degrees celcius then cooled again before the yeast. Should I boil it for 15 min? I don't want to do it for too long (e.g. 1 hour) as I read it can make darken the beer.

Thank you for your help in advanced!

Cheers!

REFERENCE:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=460214

Using all wheat DME or LME is the way to go. Just keep it nice and simple.

Here's a fantastic recipe that I've made over and over again with great success. Just treat the yeast right and you'll have a great result.

http://byo.com/body/item/2265-german-hefeweizen-style-profile

Thank you.

I already have the DME and Hops.

Just curious if there are any other tips I can employ to reduce the possibility of haze protein cloudiness? May be my technique or additions to the brew?

Oops - I guess I linked the BYO article more for method and pointers than the recipe. Your recipe looks solid.

Cloudiness is really characteristic of the style, so at least on this brew, you don't need to worry too much about clarity but you're on the right track for future brews re using whirlifoc. (Irish moss and whirlifoc are basically the same thing - whirlifoc is a concentrated form of the main component and a little easier to work with, IMO.)

As for when and how to add the extract, a good method is to bring your water to a boil, cut the heat, add 15 or so percent of your extract and return to a boil. Boil for 45 minutes, cut the heat again and add the rest of the extract, then return to a boil and boil for another 15 minutes. After that, chill and pitch.

In that second DME addition, the steam will make it a real pain in the butt to pour the DME (steam will make it clumpy.) I've found its good to put the DME in a steel bowl or saucepan or whatever and scoop out a couple cups of your hot wort, then pour it in with the DME and stir it up and basically make it into LME, which will be much easier to pour.

Latest posts

Back