Hefe still bubbling away after 10 days!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwwdotcomdotnet

Reaction score
Right how I have had a wheat hefe in primary for 10 days and CO2 is still bubbling out of the blowoff tube at a rate of once every 15 seconds. I have done a wheat ale in the past, and the fermentation was over in 4-5 days. I planned on keeping this hefe in primary for 14 days anyways, but perhaps it should stay in longer? It is going to secondary soon so I can add in raspberries.

Here is my recipe, but in summary it was 5 lbs wheat DME, 1 lb light DME, WLP 320 (no starter), and 10 oz crystal. I boiled 3 gallons and strained it into my 6.5 gallon glass carboy, then added 2.25 gallons of cold spring water, then shook it vigorously. SG was at 1.043 (temp corrected) right before pitching.

My setup is using a 1.25 inch blowoff tube into a bucket with water and a capful of bleach. The carboy has had about 1.5-2 inches of krausen (still!) since 24 hours after pitching. The fermentation was never vigorous and there is plenty of head space. Technically I never needed the blowoff tube.

I have not yet taken a sample with my wine thief. Would this be a good idea since I was going to put an airlock on tonight anyways?

I've had plenty of non-fruit spiced wheat ales and seasonal ales, but does anyone think adding a dash of coriander to the secondary with the raspberries would give a tasty result?

I think coriander would be a nice addition. If this is your first time using 320(I haven't) don't let the prolonged krausen worry you, especially with the under-pitch. WLP300 seems to produce a thick foam that hangs around nearly the entire two weeks before I bottle my hefes.

This is my first time using the WLP320, in fact it is my first time using a liquid yeast period. I will wait until this weekend and transfer to secondary, and then boil some coriander (just a pinch) for 3 min, let it cool, and pasteurize the 4 lbs of raspberries at 150F for a few minutes. Thanks!

looks like ill give it a try! ill likely do 3/4 tsp of it. i already have a ton of crushed coriander since i do a lot of cooking, would it be better to get whole seeds and crush them on my own for freshness' sake?

Latest posts

Back