Hefe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewn4fun

Reaction score
I'm on my second brew and its going to be a Hefe kit. Just wondering there are 2 3.3# jars LME with kit is there any benefit to adding one jar at boil then waiting till 30-15 and adding second jar? Also is a constant 68-70 ferm temp fine or do I need to try a little lower?

Thanks Paul

Higher temp for a hefe will produce more banana, lower will be more clove/vanilla (depending on the yeast of course). 70 is fine.

Add 1 or even half the jar at the beginning of the boil with your hops. Then add the rest with 10-15 minutes left in your boil. This will make it lighter in color.

Thanks will do H2O almost @ boil. Recipe 6.6# Bavarian Wheat LME 1 oz Hallertau and 1 Fermentis WB-06.

Perfect! yummmmmmmm...hefe is one of those recipes that tastes close weather it's AG or extract.

Its hard to make Hefe with extract because you don’t have control over the amount of wheat (I like 70%) and you don’t know if an acid rest was done (helps produce more phenols) your best bet is to ferment in the low 60*F then ramp up after a few days.
With that said, we had a challenge a few years back and some people did a triple decoction and a bunch of other advanced techniques but the guy who won did an extract recipe.

Back