Hefe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chirodoccm

Reaction score
I am in the process of brewing a Hefe and just have a question about ferment/conditioning time.

It seems one of the reason people like hefes is the quick turn around time. But I am trying to have patience with things. So what is the best fermentor time? I have seen some threads with 2 week in primary no secondary and bottle/keg. I have also seen 3 weeks then bottle/keg. Assuming fermentation is done in 2 weeks do you gain anything by leaving it another week or 2 in primary with a Hefe?

Best keg conditioning time? Or just carb as normal?

Thanks

A lot of it will depend on how your fermentation goes (temp, starter size, etc.). Even with hefes I still like to leave them in the fermenter for 3 weeks, but I've known people who (with the proper attention to fermentation variables) have been able to bottle/keg in 1.5-2 weeks.

In the end its your beer, and so long as the gravity has plateaued off and the hydrometer sample tastes fine, you can bottle as soon as fermentation is done. However, if you've got the time, its not like hefes are going to taste awful after 2 months and you've got to drink them as fast as possible :) I always figure another week or two in the primary can't hurt!

I did a hefe a little while back and two things I learned from mine... Dont ferment to high a temp. And it doesnt take long in the Primary all. I had mine in their for 2 weeks and then went to a secondary for a week. I think the secondary was a waste.
Also I got some Advice from Ed Wort on a hefe, and he does his with 10 days in the Primary, then crash cools and bottles/keg which ever. His beers have always been spot on from the ones Ive tasted and feed back from others. Dont know if that helps ya any.
Happy Brewing

I really don't think you need any extended kind of aging with a Hef. I'm assuming you are talking the German variety. Just ferment them on the low end of the range and give it 12-14 days in the primary. Then go straight to keg.

I just did one several weeks back. 14 days in the primary at about 63 degrees and then into the keg. Brought the gas up quickly and had it on tap in 5 more days. It was wonderful and balanced and did very well at a local competition.

Back