Hefe Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TFrankMac

Reaction score
Just wondering if I could get some advice on my partial mash hefe recipe below. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Hefeweizen

Style: Weizen/Weissbier OG: 1.045
Type: Partial Mash FG: 1.011
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 4.45 %
Calories: 147 IBU's: 12.95
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 3.50 Gal
Color: 3.4 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 14 days @ 68.0°F
Bottle/Keg 14 days @ 74.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
5.00 lbs 61.35 % Weyermann Pale Wheat Malt 60 mins 1.038
3.15 lbs 38.65 % NB Pilsen Malt Syrup 20 mins 1.036

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 12.95 Tettnang 60 mins 4.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.00 pkg Weihenstephan Weizen Wyeast Labs 3068

Additions
(none)

Mash Profile
Sacch' Rest 60 min @ 152.0°F
Add 7.50 qt ( 1.50 qt/lb ) water @ 167.4°F
Sparge
Sparge 11.10 qt of 170.0°F water over 60 mins

Carbonation
Amount Type Beer Temp CO2 Vols
8.75 oz Corn Sugar - Bottle Carbonation 74.0°F 4.10

Looks great. If it's easy for you to get, I'd recommend adding in ~4oz of Melanoidin malt - it simulates a decoction mash and gives you a nice bready/malty character. It'll still be good without it though.

What's your temp control look like? I'd recommend dropping below 68° if you can. I really like 62°-64°.

8.75 oz corn sugar is a lot...what bottles are you using? Standard 12oz longnecks may have trouble with 4 volumes. I think the max recommendation is ~3 vols. I've gone higher with no issues, but just be careful.

It looks good to me. I like adding a pound of Munich malt to my hefe recipe. It gives a slight malty sweet flavor and I've read that some German breweries do this. And I agree with TyTanium, I like to ferment at 62-63F and then raise it to 68F after 5-6 days to help it finish. Your carbonation seems crazy high.

Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't notice the carb level was so high! iBrewMaster did it automatically :eek: I'm gonna add about .5 lb of Weyermann Melanoidin. I can probably get my ferm temps down to about 64ish and will most likely ferm at that temp. The max it would get is 68.

I think that carb level is appropriate to style, just too high for regular glass bottles! I have a hefe I'm going to bottle tonight or tomorrow and I'm going with 2.8 volumes of CO2 just to be safe. I wish I was kegging.

Back