Hedgerow beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRelic

Reaction score
just tried to brew my second batch of nettle beer the first was a failure (after 10 days still looked like pond water. i think i put the yeast in when the water was 2 hot ) i find it hard to keep the brew at a regular temp (i keep it in the hot press) my og was 10.70 my fg was 10.50 giving me a 2% vol but to be honest i wouldnt drink it. how do u keep it at a regular temp.

I have no idea what Nettle Beer is, and I think you may have meant "1.070" for your SG, or was that in degrees plato? It could have gone further if you let it sit for a while. How long did you let it go?

But, I think as far as keeping your beer cool (where are you?) you could try a basement (if you have one). At least a cooler part of your house might help.

If that's not available, try an evaporative cooling system in which you submerge your fermenter in ten inches of water (use a cheap plastic tub of some sort) and put an old t-shirt/rag/sweater/whatever over the fermenter. The t-shirt/rag/sweater/whatever will wick up water and evaporate and help to cool your fermenter. You can also add a fan pointed at the set up to increase cooling ability. This won't work as well in a humid climate, but it sure is a start.

What was the recipe? If you used a lot of sugar (which is normal in nettle beers), the gravity should have come down more.

Latest posts

Back