Heck with measurements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncommonsense

Reaction score
I just finished off a shandy that was great. And it never touched a hydrometer. It was just a quick extract beer that i was ganna keg. Anyway it was realy good. I dont ever do this normally nor do i plan to but it did work out. Anyone ever just say heck with it and not take any measurements.

The last extract batch I did (AHS Anniversary Wit) I didn't bother with taking an OG measurement since it was extract, but I always take FG readings to make sure I don't end up with bottle bombs.

It depends. I usually use my refract so I know what I'm starting with to ballpark my OG, but I rarely check the FG. It ferments normally and sits for about 3 weeks then I dry hop many of them. I then just hit the keg with it where it ended up. I usually get dryer beers than I would like though.

And it never touched a hydrometer. It was just a quick extract beer that i was ganna keg. Anyway it was realy good. I dont ever do this normally nor do i plan to but it did work out.
Great
Anyone ever just say heck with it and not take any measurements.
No, I am on the opposite side, I need to know all the parameters of all my brews during the process.
I record all brewing data on my computer for all the beers I ever made, good or bad.
I record any problems during brewing, fermentation, filtering and keging.
We all have our own requirements and at the end "How does it taste" is only impotent not style guidelines.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I take readings at every step, but the more I brew I don't know that I really see it as a necessity - even for AG. We all know the values and benefit of taking readings, they are numerous. At the same time, it's just cooking and as with cooking as we gain experience we stop measuring our spices, stop cooking for 360 seconds on one side, flipping for another 360 seconds on the nose, etc but instead begin to do things via our educated senses. I doubt I'll stop taking hydro or refracto readings or stop logging nearly everything, but at the same time enjoy the thought of a more free-spirited brewing experience based on enough experience with the process, so who knows.

I very rarely take measurements. In fact I didn't do it for 10 years. I only started doing it again because I started doing all grain and wanted to know how I was doing. Even then, I only take OG and FG. I've never taken reading at various points during the process.

I take preboil gravity and OG measurements just to make sure I'm in the expected ranges for efficiency. But I rarely take FG readings unless I'm using a completely unfamiliar yeast (like WLP565) that I'm not 100% sure will finish.

I always take readings but its probably not necessary since I have brewed most of my recipes many times. Plus I keg and don't have to worry about bottle bombs.

uncommonsense said:
I just finished off a shandy that was great. And it never touched a hydrometer. It was just a quick extract beer that i was ganna keg. Anyway it was realy good. I dont ever do this normally nor do i plan to but it did work out. Anyone ever just say heck with it and not take any measurements.

I don't for three reasons: I'm still new at this (~18 months), i want to be able to precisely reproduce my best beers, and I need a scientific approach to understand how slight variables affect the outcomes in my developing beers.

I can see how people who are less anal might just "go for it", however, and if it works to make you happy then why not?

Like i said i dont normally not take take them. But sence i planned to throw a can of frozen lemonade in the keg, i wouldnt know how much suger would have been add nor did i realy care. But it was taste.

Back