Heating Element sizes for 55 gal.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthBrewer87

Reaction score
Im trying to figure out how many 7500 watt 240 volt elements to use in my 55 gal. kettles. I was thinking 2 but im not for sure.... any help would awesome

two would take about an hour to get from 50-154 (your initial temp will have an impact on time to strike temp).

The same two would take about 1/2 hour to get from mash out to boil. Seems to me that your at 2 if your not in a hurry and 3 if you want to speed things up.

Im going to have each on its own 240 circuit and they will run on a seperate meter than my house since they will pull approx 94 amps. I will most likely install 3 elements on the kettle but only use the third if i really just want to speed up the process

I use two 4500 watt elements in my system. My BK is 55 gallons. I typically make 30 gallon batches but have made 35 gallons batches without a problem. I run my elements on 90% power during the boil.

Im going to have each on its own 240 circuit and they will run on a seperate meter than my house since they will pull approx 94 amps. I will most likely install 3 elements on the kettle but only use the third if i really just want to speed up the process

Sorry, I was wondering where you are getting a 7500W element? do you have a link?

I am building a 3 BBL system at the store using Bubbas Barrels the HLT is a 55 gallon the MLT, BK and hot water recovery are all 100 gallon. I am going to build this all electric (of course) and I am going to use 3, 5500 watt 240VAC in my 55 gallon HLT and 4 on my 100 gallon Boil Kettle. I do know the boil will take a little extra time to get up to speed but I am sure it will boil just fine. I am building a hybrid 5500 watt RIMS and HERMS back to back to utilize the HLT energy but have the added help from the RIMS to step mash if I so desire.

I too would LOVE to see 7500 watt low density elements. Where are you getting them from?

Is this it? http://www.barefrigeration.com/Prod...t240v--7500w---1-3-4--Oc---R02.04.701.00.html

Good luck on the build..

Cheers
Jay

sorry I meant 6000 watt elements. I must have typed faster than I was thinking. I am still going to wire them the same way though. I am buying them through Grainger.

Does anyone think I could just use one 7500w element to heat up my strike water in a 55 gal HLT? Then, goose it from 160ish to 180 w/in an hr? (thats the real kicker). My kettle is going to be direct fire.

Does anyone think I could just use one 7500w element to heat up my strike water in a 55 gal HLT? Then, goose it from 160ish to 180 w/in an hr? (thats the real kicker). My kettle is going to be direct fire.

If its just for an HLT, may be look in to a used commercial water heater, or a commercial on demand water heater.

If you give it enough time a 5500W element should be plenty to heat 55 gallons to 180.

Back