Heat wave! Let's brew a saison!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckettOfBeer

Reaction score
Saison

5gallons OG: 1.054

4 lbs Pilsen DME
1 lb Wheat DME
1 lb sucrose

1 oz Mt. Hood (60 min)
1 oz Strisselspalt (0 min)

Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison

I've never brewed the style before but due to high temperatures in the forecast I figured it's a good time to give it a go. Any tips on brewing this? I'm thinking about not using any specialty grains but am open to suggestions. I will be fermenting in the 80s to 90s.

Simple is good. I usually don 't use specialty grains. Maybe some Munich, but with the wheat it should be good.

Sounds like it should be very refreshing.

3724 does like heat. I usually pitch in the mid 60' and then let it ramp up. Once the temp ramps up keep it there and it should ferment out nicely. 3724 likes high 80's to 90.

Bottled my White Pepper Saison and pitched a Smoked Saison on the cake yesterday.. I had bottled the first half of my White Pepper Saison a week ago (I made 10 gallons split between two BB's), and sampled one today at lunch. It was quite tasty!

You gotta love having the option to still brew when the heat rolls around! :rockin:

I was starting to think about my next batch. This will be perfect for some summertime brewing! What about at night though, if the temp gets lower?

I'm in Portland, Oregon if that helps.

I was starting to think about my next batch. This will be perfect for some summertime brewing! What about at night though, if the temp gets lower?

If you have major temp swings from day to night you can put your fermenter in a swamp cooler.Add frozen water bottles during the day and an aquarium heater at night...

but does the room you're fermenting your beer in flucuate? I close my windows and shut the closet door at night, if its say... 85 during the day, at night it'll only go down to maybe 80 which isnt much of a change for a saison if you ask me as long as it spends most of its time (12+ hours) in the mid 80's you'll be fine. We're not creating God's elixir here, just beer. :D

If you put your fermenter in a container with a lot of water it will negate the temp swings. The extra mass of the water will take a lot longer to change the temp of the brew, so the cooldown at night may make almost no difference.

Any suggestions on how long to leave in the primary/ how long in the secondary? I usually just wait until the brew hits its FG but I feel the yeast needs some time to do its magic :D

I did 2 weeks primary on one and 3 week primary on the other (I made 10 gallons on the same day split between 2 better bottles).. I don't do secondaries!

I usually just leave them in the primary for about 4 weeks. Just because I have a very big pipeline and find no reason to rush.

Back