Heat and Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netjunk1e

Reaction score
I am picking up 600 lbs of 2-row today, but not going to be able to take it to my friends to split it up until Monday. Would leaving it in the car be bad? It is going to be in the 90's here this weekend.

I don't really feel like hauling it up 3 flights of stairs just to turn around two days later and do it again.

I've actually left my grains out in the car for 2 days in 80+ temps. Didn't notice any difference in the final product. That being said, I personally wouldn't plan on doing that. You said you're getting 600 lbs. of grains? You got a pickup or something? If you're truely getting 600 lbs. of grain, that's a lot of money to be gambling with. May be worth the effort to get it out of your car to ensure that nothing goes wrong.

Yea I am getting around 600# of grain, 13 sacks. I have a friends down in Eugene that brews 20 gal every other weekend and has been buying grain at 60 a bag. I am getting it for 33. Thats why I am getting so much, I think I might just park it in the shade, and leave the windows down.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

I'm not positive anything bad would happen to it but if you think about what the grain has gone through by the time you get it I'm sure a few days in the sun would be no problem. The grain gets to the warehouse probably by a non climate controlled semi and sits in that trailer for god knows how long. Other grain can sit in grain silos outdoors with the sun beating down upon them for a long time as well.

Just think of every large brewery that has an external grain storage silo. I'm sure if a little heat had any detrimental effects they would store it at least inside the brewery where the temperature is at a reasonable level.

That is what I was thinking, I am just going to take my wife's covered parking spot for the weekend. She needs a little more exercise anyway......wait, I shouldn't say that out loud.

I am assuming this grain has already been malted. If so, there will be no problem, as the malting and kilning process will remove nearly all the moisture from the grain. If this is raw grain, there may be a problem, unless the grain has been dried. Malt barley (before malting) is safe to store at around 12% moisture. Anything more than that, plus the heat, might cause the grain to sweat. I have seen semi loads of grain heat overnight, at higher moisture. If this happens, you have a lot of chicken feed. As for the silos mentioned, the farmers are either putting the grain in dry (under 14% moisture), blowing air through the grain mass (works up to about 18% moisture), or artificially drying. Also, up North, we get the advantage of very cold winters that cool down the grain, which helps to preserve the grain, and the mass will stay cool through the summer the next year.

Yea it is already malted. I need to give props for BrewBrotheres up here in Portland, they delivered the grain to my house, one of the bags tore when it was being offloaded form the truck, and he is going to drive a replacement down to me tomorrow!

If you are in the Portland, OR area, check out Brew Brothers - Homepage

I have left grain in my garage for two years enduring 100+ degree days in the summer and it still turns out great beer. Keep it dry and away from bugs & vermin.

Holy hell they have pilsner malt for $49.50! hmmm..... Sorry, just checking out that Brew Brothers page.

Latest posts

Back