Hearts on Fire- Smoked IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcdarrel17

Reaction score
I thought I would share, what I claim to be a recipe experiment success. A friend and I decided to make a smoked beer and we love ipa's, so I used the popular Bell's Two Hearted clone from this site as the base and added smoked grains. I have to say, I have been blown away by it and think it may be my best brew so far. It's clear the base recipe is great and really added to the success, but the smoke level came out just right, not overpowering, but plenty there.

To smoke the grains I used about a pound and a half of uncrushed base grains in a smoker (hickory wood) for about an hour and a half. The grains were in a simple aluminum tray and kept wet. I didn't cold smoke, just put them on the smoker and kept the heat low so they wouldn't scorch. I realized I wouldn't get any sugars out of the grains later, their only purpose is to carry the smoke.

About a week later I crushed the smoked grains and threw them in the mash, everything else followed your standard brewing technique. Again, I am really happy with the results and thought I'd share the experience. I imagine it will be hard to replicate the smokiness level exactly each time, but I plan to brew it again whenever I get a chance.

Back