Headspace in carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roberto188

Reaction score
I have about 3.5 gallons of mango wine already clarified aging in a 5 gallon carboy. I use one of these to seal the top. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064OED86/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I put the cap on, fit an airlock then in the blowoff connection put my airhose and use the CO2 from my kegerator to fill the inside with CO2. I do it slowly to allow the gas already inside the carboy to bubble out the airlock. Does anyone see an issue aging my wine in this fashion? I don't want the wine to oxidize, but I also don't a have any 3 gallons containers or enough 1 gallons containers to rack this into. (I have way too many brews going on right now). Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Introducing more CO2 is really the opposite of what you want with wine. We work very hard removing excess CO2, just look at the huge number of degassing threads.

Besides those orange caps are not even close to airtight.

Besides those orange caps are not even close to airtight.

I have rubber band holding it airtight. I do it on my plastic jugs. I then squeeze them and can see the airlock move assuring it's airtight. Thanks for the info on CO2.

Back