Headed to Santa Rosa/Guerneville later this week.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shuckit

Reaction score
Besides going straight from the airport to RRB and trying Pliny the Elder for the first time, what other beer should I seek out and where?

FYI, I like american IPAs and the like, but willing to taste around.

I also plan on stopping by TheBeveragePeople (LHBS) and I'm having the hardest time finding a reasonably priced propane burner (a la a bayou classic) in Canada so I'm looking to pick one of those up as well.

Thx in advance for the suggestions!

well I would personally cool my jets at RRB and try a few of their beers. Pliny is great no doubt, but try all of their IPAs. Blind Pig is great, even the RRIPA is great. Also try their sours, excellent.

In addition, I would wander up to Healdsburg and try Bear Republic, and wander down to Petaluma and stop in at Lagunitas.

Stone is over 500 miles from here, so I hope that was a joke.

Don't completely discount 5th Street Aleworks. Their Dry Stout, Puddle Jumper, and Bombay Red are quite nice, and once in a while they have an absolutely out-of-the-park knockout cask ale.

Taps in Petaluma has a wide selection of mostly heavy and some rare beers. A lot of what I've been served there lately tasted unnaturally chalky, though. Don't know what's up with that.

My local is The Toad in the Hole. You can count on Death and Taxes, Twisted Thistle, and bottled Trumer, but there's almost always a guest tap or two to keep it interesting. A new cask is tapped every Tuesday. Go for the atmosphere and general awesomeness, though, not specifically the beer. Go to Lagunitas (closed Mon + Tue), Bear Republic, and RRBC for the beer.

Stone is over 500 miles from here, so I hope that was a joke.

Don't completely discount 3rd Street Aleworks.

Fixed that for yah ;)

I also plan on stopping by TheBeveragePeople (LHBS) and I'm having the hardest time finding a reasonably priced propane burner (a la a bayou classic) in Canada so I'm looking to pick one of those up as well.

Thx in advance for the suggestions!

Hmm.. sometimes the LHBS are not the best place to get those burners. You can grab one at the Lowes in Cotati on the way up, it's just off the exit. (google map it) It's half the price and includes an aluminum pan. I just checked and they are in stock there.

+1 to trying a bunch of stuff at Russian River. My wife and I split their sampler (which at the time had 15 beers in it), and all styles were excellent. Their Aud Blonde probably surprised me the most -- one of the better blondes I've had.

well I would personally cool my jets at RRB and try a few of their beers. Pliny is great no doubt, but try all of their IPAs. Blind Pig is great, even the RRIPA is great. Also try their sours, excellent.

In addition, I would wander up to Healdsburg and try Bear Republic, and wander down to Petaluma and stop in at Lagunitas.

Hoping to have enough time to enjoy a few more of RRB's beers. It's going to be easier to head north than south, so Bear Republic is a possibility.

My local is The Toad in the Hole. You can count on Death and Taxes, Twisted Thistle, and bottled Trumer, but there's almost always a guest tap or two to keep it interesting. A new cask is tapped every Tuesday. Go for the atmosphere and general awesomeness, though, not specifically the beer. Go to Lagunitas (closed Mon + Tue), Bear Republic, and RRBC for the beer.

I'll try and make it into the Toad in the Hole.

I know people go nuts over Pliny but RR has many other great beers. I'd take Supplication over Pliny any day, except the day I want an IIPA.

Thanks for the quick shipping on the sight glass!

You can grab one at the Lowes in Cotati on the way up, it's just off the exit. (google map it) It's half the price and includes an aluminum pan. I just checked and they are in stock there.

Excellent.

+1 to trying a bunch of stuff at Russian River. My wife and I split their sampler (which at the time had 15 beers in it), and all styles were excellent. Their Aud Blonde probably surprised me the most -- one of the better blondes I've had.

That sampler looks like the best place to start.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Depends where north you are going but heres a few more. HBG in Healdsburg usually has a brew from Healdsburg's nano brewery Healdsburg Beer Company. There is also Ruth McGowans in Cloverdale and of course depending how far north Ukiah & Mendo in Ukiah and Anderson Valley in Boonville. You can also occasionally find some local brews at Whole Foods in Santa Rosa's tap house.

A big +1 to the Bear, RRBC, Lagunitas and Toad in the Hole.

Back