Head space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Booker140

Reaction score
Hi folks,

How much head space is to much? Also when you rack it to the second carboy does it matter how much head space there is since the yeast has already done its job by this point?.

Thanks,

Booker

Yes, in secondary is when headspace really matters. The ideal amount is almost none- right to the neck of the carboy, about 1/2" to 1" below the bung, at the narrowest point of the carboy.

In primary fermentation you need a little bit of headspace for some foaming (it's generally not a thick krausen like beer). In a one-gallon jar, I leave the liquid level about 1" below the the shoulder of the jar, where it starts to narrow to the neck. This leaves the full surface area to offgas CO2 during fermentation.

In secondary, you want as little headspace as possible. I will fill the vessel up into the neck of the bottle. Minimal surface area to absorb O2.

Yooper you should add this info to your sticky thread for beginners. It's such an important issue that often gets overlooked and ruins ciders but one that is so easy to fix

2 options I've read to minimize the had space was add water to top it up but that dilutes it. And the second that is a great idea is to use marbles. Sanitize them first then put them in the carboy. I read that on one of the posts here. Topping off carboy has lots of great ideas.

Booker

Back